Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Don\'t fix what ain\'t broke?

Ok, so I have Digi001 running great and doing what I need:

Sawtooth G4 w/ 1.4GHz accelerator, 1.2GB ram, OS 9.2.2, PT-LE 5.1.1, Alesis AI-3 I/O box

My 16-track reel-to-reel machine sits in the corner with a dust cover on it. My racks of outboard gear sit idle as well, having been replaced by plug-ins. This PT system rocks!

So I see Digi is handing out free Bomb Factory plug-ins this week, but they only work with PT-LE 6.x and I'm still on 5.x and OS 9. Is this how it's going to go in the future? To get new plug-ins, am I going to have to upgrade to OS X and PT-LE 6.x?

When it comes to computers, I always fear changing something that works perfectly, because the new version of whatever it is may bring massive headaches and thoughts of suicide. Should I do this?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, caveats, etc. from those of you who've made this upgrade journey.

Cheers - Don Z.
[email protected]
Old 02-23-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Don\'t fix what ain\'t broke?

HI

your CPU/system is adequate for PT6/Panther.

Just a Thought:
If you have a second HD get Panther and PT6 Upgrade cheap and install it there , or on a sepereate partion of you recent HD. THis way your OS 9 won´t be touched and will conitnue to work as you know it. This way you can make a slow transition.

For the question if you SHOULD UPGRADE there is no answer which could make the decision for you.

for me, I love OSX way more than OS9, and I KNOW OS9.

best
Old 02-23-2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
So I see Digi is handing out free Bomb Factory plug-ins this week, but they only work with PT-LE 6.x and I'm still on 5.x and OS 9. Is this how it's going to go in the future? To get new plug-ins, am I going to have to upgrade to OS X and PT-LE 6.x?

Except for some free plugins, all new/updated plugins will be for OS X. OS 9 (as far as new development) is basically dead.

If you're happy with what you have - use it. If you want to prepare for future goodies, then try what Mindnoise suggested - it's the most painless way to update.
2 OWC 80G firewire drives
many nice noise makers
Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 AM

The only people I know that have any version of PT 6 running reliably are people who tend to just track stuff or do non-cpu intensive stuff. If you're doing anything extremely cpu intensive where you're going to run at abouve 65% cpu usage i'd upgrade but keep your PT 5 up and running. It was the biggest mistake I made going to a non OS9 boot machine and doing the PT 6 migration. I'm now back to running OS 9 and keeping X on the rocks till it becomes less buggy. It works great until you start loading it up. Most people I know are in the same situation. Endless "usb interrupt" errors for mbox and/or unexpected quits with the other interfaces upon extreme cpu usage. Hoping 6.2.3 addresses some of these bugs...
Old 02-23-2004, 11:20 AM

Hmm...food for thought.

Excellent advice, all around. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, gang! - Don Z.
[email protected]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:27 PM

for me i love osx.os9 used to give me problems.osx taxes ur computer a little more but it has so many new goodies. tempo delay on ur digidelays,import session data,way better graphics,and a lot of other cool features. u cant make to many changes to ur system in osx. it handles most of ur memory allocation. thats why i like osx though most things are plug and play u dont have to make a hundred settings for things to work.plus the fact that most plug ins and things like that will be osx priority first. some will still be developed for os9, but for how long?