Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 AM

Default Upgrading to PT 12 and backwards compatibility

Hi, I'm currently running PT HD 10+11 on OS X 10.8.5 and am looking to update/upgrade my computer.

I am going to need to go back to old sessions (PT 10),from time to time, so my plan is to clone my system drive and put that to one side as a safety, and upgrade the new system drive in terms of OS and PT.

However, I know when moving to PT 12 you have to surrender your current license, so does this mean this plan doesn't work? I've read that you used to be able to keep a license for PT 10, thus enabling me to revert to the other system drive and simply work on PT 10 when needed. Is this still the case?

I assume if I upgrade the OS on the new system drive PT 10 will cease to work properly due to not being supported?

All help appreciated! This is for a commercial studio, with sessions imminent (that need latest Kontakt and Logic Pro X, hence the need to upgrade), so need to be sure before I continue!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Upgrading to PT 12 and backwards compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddhartwellmusic View Post
Hi, I'm currently running PT HD 10+11 on OS X 10.8.5 and am looking to update/upgrade my computer.
I am going to need to go back to old sessions (PT 10),from time to time, so my plan is to clone my system drive and put that to one side as a safety, and upgrade the new system drive in terms of OS and PT.
However, I know when moving to PT 12 you have to surrender your current license, so does this mean this plan doesn't work? I've read that you used to be able to keep a license for PT 10, thus enabling me to revert to the other system drive and simply work on PT 10 when needed...
Welcome to the community.

The Upgrade does include a Pro Tools 10 license in the bundle (see the Specifications tab on the store page) so you would still be able to run that version.