Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
i've got an idea for a new feature. (in by best avid marketing voice) "not only do you have track freeze but in our latest update we are now offering the most advanced pro feature on the market: Subscription freeze. This new feature will allow you to get nothing for nothing, a huge advancement in audio technology while in past you could only pay to get nothing"

lmao!
+1000
Old 04-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I've got an idea for a new feature. (In by best Avid marketing voice) "Not only do you have Track Freeze but in our latest update we are now offering the most advanced Pro feature on the market: Subscription Freeze. This new feature will allow you to get nothing for nothing, a HUGE advancement in audio technology while in past you could only pay to get nothing"

But seriously, Avid hasn't only lagged in their software department, they have also lagged in the hardware development. While all the other audio companies are coming out with updated hardware with the latest in AD/DA conversion technology, Avid has sat on their hardware offering no new updates to their Omni, Pre or I/O hardware.

Yes they rebranded a DAD to have premium converters and DANTE etc. And they did some give aways with software from other brands to subscription users to let it look like there’s still happening something.

However I hope they didn’t come up with the idea of software subscription, also for perpetual licenses, to eventually speed up product development and compatibility/bug fix releases. Something must have gone terribly wrong over there.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Yes they rebranded a DAD to have premium converters and DANTE etc. And they did some give aways with software from other brands to subscription users to let it look like there’s still happening something.

However I hope they didn’t come up with the idea of software subscription, also for perpetual licenses, to eventually speed up product development and compatibility/bug fix releases. Something must have gone terribly wrong over there.
I wonder if anyone actually bought the MTRX. I haven't heard from anyone that has used it. I saw a video from Avid about it, but the price is ridiculous....over $10,000 for a fully loaded MTRX. I guess the top pro studios can afford it, but not sure they are buying it. From what I see on these pro studio websites, most are running Lynx, Antelope or Apogee with their pro tools software.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 04-23-2019, 03:11 PM

I know atleast 5 studios who has MTRX and just a FYI These studios and producers who are serious professionals dont come to forums what so ever, I mean when did you actually see a top 10 producer here LOL Not happening! The pros we work with and collab with and I mean PRO guys and gals spend their time actually working and don’t go to forums to complain and waste their time.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I wonder if anyone actually bought the MTRX. I haven't heard from anyone that has used it. I saw a video from Avid about it, but the price is ridiculous....over $10,000 for a fully loaded MTRX. I guess the top pro studios can afford it, but not sure they are buying it. From what I see on these pro studio websites, most are running Lynx, Antelope or Apogee.

If I had 10.000 to spend I’d buy an X16 or aurora N with some really nice outboard gear.

But with the first one you’re limited to 32 I/O and the second one has to be fitted with reversed engineering old digilink ports, connected to 9 a year old pci card to have more than 32 I/O. Or use another DAW instead

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I know atleast 5 studios who has MTRX and just a FYI These studios and producers who are serious professionals dont cone to forums, I mean when did you actually see a top 10 producer here LOL Not happening! The pros we work with and collab with and I mean PRO guys and gals soend their time actually working and don’t go to forums to complain and waste their time.
True, I can't argue your logic! Do you know what the feedback on the MTRX has been?

I wonder what these top producers do for fun? I imagine it would get boring after a while driving their lamborghinis to a private jet landing in a private airport to get whisked away into a limo that takes them to their yacht where their model girlfriends are ready for some fun.....wait on second thought...

But seriously, I think they could find a few minutes between work to blow off some steam on a message board once in a while or maybe they are just so enamored with Pro Tools that they wouldn't have anything but praise and adulation to post and that would be just, well, boring. Plus, I imagine any top producer wouldn't use their real name anyway to post on this board. They would most likely have a pseudo name and pretend to be one of us common folk. You know a secret identity, similar to what Batman or Superman do. Only us amateurs would be so bold to use our real names.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman

Last edited by jasonkalman; 04-23-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I know atleast 5 studios who has MTRX and just a FYI These studios and producers who are serious professionals dont come to forums what so ever, I mean when did you actually see a top 10 producer here LOL Not happening! The pros we work with and collab with and I mean PRO guys and gals soend their time actually working and don’t go to forums to complain and waste their time.

Why does AVID have this forum? pro tools is only for professional users after all. We are just some random paying hobbyists.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 PM

I do think there is a bit of a divergence from reality happening here. We exist in what is largely a service industry, not a tech industry. There is something puzzlingly odd when manufacturers drastically rehash the same basic design into three new products in the space of 5 or 6 years. UA and Antelope are some of the biggest offenders in that regard. Can you honestly charge your clients more for owning an Apollo x8 over a silver Apollo 8? I would really question the quality of the original Apollo 8 if a client heard any marked difference, particularly enough to charge for it.

Most serious manufacturers in this industry really do make equipment that stands the test of time. The Wiggles are still touring with a Digidesign SC48 for FOH. They are consistently one of the biggest money earners in the Australian entertainment industry. Why would you spend more for a 'new' console when it will still do the job just as well as the old one? It's wasted money. SSL's Duality has been around for 13 years now. Prism have been selling the same basic converter platform for almost two decade. The Sound Devices 788 was released in 2008 - Ben Osmo used four of them to record Mad Max Fury road in 2015. Sound Devices still sell it new. Allen & Heath iLive desks lasted a decade on the market. Digico's SD stuff is in it's 8th or 9th year. Good equipment and good investments should kick around for a very long time.

If you are comparing an MTRX to an Apollo or Lynx interface, you really are only using the MTRX to about 30% of it's potential. It has insane flexibility in terms of connectivity. It has a built in monitor controller that can be used with Eucon and an iPad app. It has the ability to host speaker processing internally for surround and immersive formats. And you can split the I/O of a single MTRX and share it to two Pro Tools systems simultaneously. It is an extremely serious piece of kit... just like the S6, or a dub stage with 7.1.4 atmos monitoring. You will find a lot of chatter about them in the post section of the DUC.

Sure, Mojave support would be great... but... the reality is that people out there are potentially making a more lucrative living running Pro Tools TDM and Snow Leopard. If that hasn't hit you like a dump truck falling from the sky, it really should. Saving money and stretching every inch of life out of hardware and software is the game most of the industry is playing. Lining up for the newest, latest and greatest is something that kids do when buying a new iThing to be cool amongst their friends.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 04-23-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
If I had 10.000 to spend I’d buy an X16 or aurora N with some really nice outboard gear.

That was my feelings when I got off the subscription plan.

Hardware never goes out of style and once I buy it, it’s mine to use freely
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
That was my feelings when I got off the subscription plan.

Hardware never goes out of style and once I buy it, it’s mine to use freely
Same here.
Recall can be a bugger but I prefer the hybrid workflow where everything is on half-normalled TT patchays to the DAW IO.
It is easy to patch for tracking or mixing within a few minutes and it keeps the studio warm in winter.