Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-31-2017, 10:50 PM

Default Re: My Personal AAE - 6101 Error

Thanks, Chris. Happy New Year, friend.
Also, Darryl talks about creating a new partition on my Mac HD on which to place the new OS and PT when I do a clean install of both. I've gone into the Disk Utility, and it looks pretty simple. But should the new partition be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Let me paraphrase what I think I should do here. Please review and redirect me if I'm getting something wrong:

1) I have backed up my Macintosh HD as a bootable image on a spare HDD that is now on the shelf and unplugged.
2) I will create a partition on my current system Mac HD. It's a 500GB flash drive of which 370GB is still available. I will make two 250GB partitions. I will format the new one as Mac OS Extended Journaled. Let's call the new partition Barney.
3) I will uninstall Pro Tools. I will uninstall my OS.
4) I will plug in the HDD that holds the bootable image and restart the computer while holding down the "R" key. I will boot to the old image and download the new Mac OS High Sierra and direct it to Barney.
5) I will create a new user administrator (should I do this before I uninstall PT and OS? Or will the new OS automatically create a the new admin?).
6) I will download PT 12.8.3 and the new iLok Manager.
7) I will test how PT works with the fresh OS.
8) If all is stable, I will copy an image of the new Mac HD to the external HDD.
9) I will erase the internal volume and copy the new Mac HD back to the clean internal flash drive.

Sound right?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Default My Personal AAE - 6101 Error

You are losing the high level goal here/getting yourself confused here with uninstalls and recovery procedures, none of which are relevant, or nobody else mentioned. Think back to what you are doing a a high level...

If you want to test with a fully clean new OS install, just do that. You don’t need to uninstall anything on any currently running OS, that becomes irrelevant. And you should not be dicking with anything already installed, leave that stuff alone.

Running off the current boot partition...
Shrink the current boot partition
Create a new partition, type as you said
Download the macOS installer to the current partition
Run that macOS installer,... point it at the new partition to install there.

then once that new install is booted and running you install software there. Either downloading the installers again, or you have them on already saved somewhere, maybe the current boot partition, which you can still access after you boot off the new partition. You don’t need to create a specific new admin account... you get a new admin account with the new macOS install, you are going to do that standard new macOS setup process.

There are lots of general resources online about how to do clean macOS installs etc. you are not trying to do a recovery, just find and follow those simple instructions.

—-

If shrinking disks, installing an OS, etc. is completely new to you then you may be better off/safer (from finger problems) doing an install on a new empty drive, say a USB SSD like a Samsung T3 or T5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Got it, Darryl. So once I have installed the new OS to the new partition and loaded PT and the ILM onto that, and tested it, THAT will be the Mac HD I will use for Pro Tools going forward, yes?

And then would I delete the old Mac HD in the other partition in order to free up space on my internal flash drive?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:35 AM

ah... you should be just doing a test. If the new macOS install with new Pro Tools install on it is not stable then why waste time on it. If it is stable, then keep experimenting, installing plugins etc. and see what happens. If you eventually decide to keep it then you can migrate over any user files from your old boot partition and delete that old partition and expand the new one, or just leave the old partition there as a backup/in case you find a problem later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 10:46 AM

All good stuff. Thanks again, Darryl. And Happy New Year!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 PM

I finally have a stable OS and PT working together with a new iLok Manager and all my plugins. This new volume is on a Samsung T5 SSD (how cool are those things?) that's connected to my iMac via USB3. Like I said, stable.

So now I would like to move this OS/PT/ILM/Plugins to my internal flash drive. How would I do that? The Samsung T5 is formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled. The internal flash drive on the iMac is APFS.

Do I create a new partition on the internal? If so, is it okay to make it a APFS partition? Can I then import the new volume from the T5 to the new partition? And what's the best way to do that? With Carbon Copy Cloner? Drag and drop?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 AM

You should be able to clone it back using CCC if you just want to clone over the old partition... but I would delete/erase and recreate the partition if doing that. APFS should be fine... it seems stable. (but if I was you I would have tested on APFS if I was going to deploy on it). Make sure it’s a recent version of CCC that supports APFS. You also should make sure any recovery partitions on the main drive are updated or at least at what you want/might need, if you want a recovery partition. You may want to shrink the current partition and create a new one so the old one is still available if you need to roll back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM

Hey guys,

I just spent a lot of time chasing my own AAE -6101 error. Started out of nowhere on Sierra and 12.8.0 (had been rock solid for months). Updated to High Sierra and PT 2018.1, which made the errors even more frequent for me (every 5 seconds or less). The answer for me was unchecking the “ignore errors during playback” box in playback settings. Probably should have been my first stop, but was not.

Just sharing in case anyone is reading this in the future scratching their heads. Hope that helps.

Also - the only thing I had updated recently was my UAD software...maybe somewhere else to look for people having this issue...maybe an incompatible UAD plugin?