Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Avid

Default Re: S3 static IP address

Correct, that's the recommended way. Nearly all Workstations come with 2 NIC's these days and it's easy to add a second if not.(via a USB-Ethernet adapter etc.)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
That address is provided by a DHCP server (or set manually)....I thought you didn't want a DHCP server?

Connect an Ethernet cable from the S3 directly into the Workstation. Make sure the network settings on the WS Ethernet adapter are set to default (Get address from DHCP). Both the S3 and WS will now self-assign themselves a link-local IP address.
Yes we do not want a DHCP server. The WS Ethernet adapter has a fixed IPV4 address (not assigned from DHCP).

I don't understand why the S3 has no option to set a specific fixed IPV4 address (each network device we use has a way to set this)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Correct, that's the recommended way. Nearly all Workstations come with 2 NIC's these days and it's easy to add a second if not.(via a USB-Ethernet adapter etc.)
Eddie, this really has to be fixed. You cannot have IP audio on a second card with the same IP range. You absolutely must include the option to specify a different range for the S3.
If some other product decides to make the same choice and fix it at 169 xxx you will not in any way be able to use the two Products together.

The fallacy here is the belief that a second card solves the IP problem which it doest not do, that is not how windows works.
As a consequence, I just had to manually set static IP on 10.xxx for a large number of IP audio devices that are mission critical in order to make an S3 work. As a result they returned the S3 and will use an external mixer instead since this was deamed unacceptable.
This is not a problem with the 5MC by the way.
Euphonix 5MC
Avid S3
Old 12-22-2017, 01:07 AM
Avid

If you are using the AVB than I agree a fixed address is useful. There is a post earlier in this thread that says you can change the address by command line via Telnet. I will test this when I get back in the office next year.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
If you are using the AVB than I agree a fixed address is useful. There is a post earlier in this thread that says you can change the address by command line via Telnet. I will test this when I get back in the office next year.

All I need is to be able to assign in a few other ranges like 10 xx instead of 169.

This will become a larger issue as more broadcasters implement large scale AES67.
Euphonix 5MC
Avid S3

Last edited by klaukholm; 01-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
All I need is to be able to make it automatically assign in a few other ranges like 10 xx instead of 169.
AES67.
The 169 (link local) range is a network standard and not possible to change. So either DHCP or manual.