Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Default Full days work missing from drive?

I have a full overdub session that is completely missing. Pro Tools isn’t even telling me that there are missing files - there’s just nothing there. Also nothing for that day in auto backups. I save very frequently and create a backup at the end of every session, so this has me puzzled. I’m also going to have to either refund the client or offer another day for free if I can’t get this sorted out.

Any suggestions on how I could potentially track down these files? I know the date they were recorded if that helps.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Full days work missing from drive?

Forget the session for a moment, do you actually have audio files on the drive? Those would be the actual files recorded. If those are missing. then that's some massive operator error.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Forget the session for a moment, do you actually have audio files on the drive? Those would be the actual files recorded. If those are missing. then that's some massive operator error.
Yeah, can’t locate the audio files. There’s no record of anything even happening on that day in PT. I feel like I’m pretty careful with this sort of thing. I tend to hit save after any take, not to mention the fact that there should be auto backups. And I always back up the day’s work when the session is over. I’ve used PT for 13 years now and have never lost a file before now.

Perhaps I’m not searching correctly, as I’ve never had to track down a file. I just went through my drive, looking for track title and date created and haven’t found anything. When I opened the session to start the overdubs, I opened from where I had previously stopped, so I don’t think there’s any way the files should have ended up elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm183902 View Post
Yeah, can’t locate the audio files. There’s no record of anything even happening on that day in PT. I feel like I’m pretty careful with this sort of thing. I tend to hit save after any take, not to mention the fact that there should be auto backups. And I always back up the day’s work when the session is over. I’ve used PT for 13 years now and have never lost a file before now.

Perhaps I’m not searching correctly, as I’ve never had to track down a file. I just went through my drive, looking for track title and date created and haven’t found anything. When I opened the session to start the overdubs, I opened from where I had previously stopped, so I don’t think there’s any way the files should have ended up elsewhere.
Try this file for looking. I wrote a longer post, but I got into something and forgot to actually post it.. This file Called "Find Any File" may help: https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 07-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Have you manually looked in the audio folder where all the session files end up? If there aren't any audio files in that folder from that session day then something has gone awry in a major way. Never heard of that before during our 15 years of recording except when a drive cocks out.

Check the audio file associates with the song/s you did that day and see if the takes are inside.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 AM

Did you check on your backup drive? Could be that you opened and did the overdubs from there? If not that, then I'd guess that you backed up in the wrong direction and erased the work. The explanation that you are giving is just not possible. If you recorded audio files and they were playing back then they would have to be in the audio files folder. They would be there even if you didn't save the session somehow.

Are you using software to back up, or doing it manually by dragging the files? I hate to say it, but you may have made an error.

Steve
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 AM

Any chance the project was recorded on another drive which was subsequently removed? Did the client have a drive plugged in? USB thumb drive? Or on your system drive? I guess ProTools would see it as "recent" if it was there.
Just ideas...