Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Default Here is an Automation in depth tutorial

I made this lesson for my students during the Covid-19 time at my home-office. I thought I make it available for every one.

It handles the more complex automation techniques that comes after the first moves of automation. How to "remix" songs without loosing previous automation, how to work with snapshots and preview and how to work with write to a selection.

Maybe it is helpful for some of you.

https://youtu.be/mwOa96K23Bw

Daniel
www.danieldettwiler.com
Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Here is an Automation in depth tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Dettwiler View Post
I made this lesson for my students during the Covid-19 time at my home-office. I thought I make it available for every one.

It handles the more complex automation techniques that comes after the first moves of automation. How to "remix" songs without loosing previous automation, how to work with snapshots and preview and how to work with write to a selection.

Daniel
www.danieldettwiler.com

Hi,

Thats really cool and thanks for sharing here

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Daniel
www.danieldettwiler.com

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Always interesting to see how others work.

Have you ever considered having just one song per session?

This way you could have dedicated plug assignments without having to do all of the song to song automation?

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 04-17-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McDude View Post
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Always interesting to see how others work.

Have you ever considered having just one song per session?

This way you could have dedicated plug assignments without having to do all of the song to song automation?
Hi, that does not work on many situations. In Jazz, given the Budgets today you often have to have all Songs in one session. In Scoring work too.
In Pop: One song per Session is finde here. But even then, with this technique you can select one chorus and do the same just for the chorus.

The Reason for Jazz or scoring not to have one song per session is that it takes longer to mix everything. And, although the import session data in ProTools is good, it is not good enough. If at the end of your session you want to review 10 songs and make little adjustments you could not decide if what you are doing goes to one song or several songs. I could try to remember what I did and then open other sessions and do it there too, but that is not really practical. That's why I think, depending on the project, sometimes to have several songs in one session is much better. At least for me

D.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Daniel
www.danieldettwiler.com
Wow, sweet music on your intro man! Reminds me of the sound of the old tv show Taxi. Warm, NY! excellent.