Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Pro Tools LE 8, use on iMac, how?

I have Pro Tools LE 8, with an M-box 2

I now want to use it on my new iMac, the problem is, it does not have any DVD-drive.

I figured I can download the software instead, but there is no software to be found on the Avid Site, at least, I could not find it.

What to do?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8, use on iMac, how?

you can get an external DVD drive.

If you purchased Pro tools 8 from Avid, it will be in your Avid account. You can download it from there.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Also, in addition to this, I have the new OSX 10.8.3. Is it even compatible with Pro Tools LE 8?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegenerationMix View Post
you can get an external DVD drive.

If you purchased Pro tools 8 from Avid, it will be in your Avid account. You can download it from there.

Chris
No I bought it in a physical store.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 AM

For the record... http://secure.digidesign.com/service...rticleId=43353

You should also have completed a registration for your software and have created an Avid account and that might have resulted in a copy of the installer also being in your account downloads. Purchaser Pro Tools LE8 "from Avid" has nothing to do with it being deposited in any account. Pro Tools LE 8 was sold as a physical disk accompanying hardware. It was never a download only sale.

But all this is irrelevant since Pro Tools LE 8 is probably not going to run on the latest Mac OS X version. You may need to upgrade to Pro Tools 11, or purchase a new interface/pro tools bundle. Or look at Logic X. You have to think about all this before you upgrade your computer.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 AM

While i bought my digi 003r used with pro tools 8 LE software, Avid transferred the 003 hardware to me, but did not transfer the software so it does NOT show up in my account. Hence my post saying if he bought it from Avid.

And pro tools 8LE will not work very well with 10.8 OS, it is not supported on 10.7.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
While i bought my digi 003r used with pro tools 8 LE software, Avid transferred the 003 hardware to me, but did not transfer the software so it does NOT show up in my account. Hence my post saying if he bought it from Avid.

And pro tools 8LE will not work very well with 10.8 OS, it is not supported on 10.7.

Chris
Actually they likely did transfer the legal rights to use the software to you. That is a point of doing the transfer paperwork. I'm not sure if the software downloads end up in accounts anyhow, but they are online for everybody. it's hard to keep track of what Avid thinks should be in accounts or is a public download. The seller should also provide you with the original registration paperwork etc. All moot anyhow in this case, where an upgrade to Pro Tools is needed.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You should also have completed a registration for your software and have created an Avid account and that might have resulted in a copy of the installer also being in your account downloads. Purchaser Pro Tools LE8 "from Avid" has nothing to do with it being deposited in any account. Pro Tools LE 8 was sold as a physical disk accompanying hardware. It was never a download only sale.

I created an account right after I purchased Pro Tools. And I did register my product online as well. However, now, there are no products to be found on in my account. I did this 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But all this is irrelevant since Pro Tools LE 8 is probably not going to run on the latest Mac OS X version. You may need to upgrade to Pro Tools 11, or purchase a new interface/pro tools bundle. Or look at Logic X. You have to think about all this before you upgrade your computer.
They did not bother to make any upgrade patches for Pro Tools 8? That is really bad. So I have to buy a new system every 3 years?

Do you know what an upgrade costs?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Bought it from an authorized dealer, not directly from Avid. Yeah, I cant see my product anywhere in my account, even though I registered it 3 years ago.

Quote:

Chris
It does not work at all on 10.7, but works, even though not well on 10.8?

What is the last OSX version it works well on? Where I currently run Pro Tools 8 is now on my very old OSX, 10.5.8, and I want to upgrade this computer.

Also I wanted to use it on my new iMac that uses 10.8.3, but I guess I can forget that.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayayeyey View Post
I created an account right after I purchased Pro Tools. And I did register my product online as well. However, now, there are no products to be found on in my account. I did this 3 years ago.
So? Avid may just not deposit that in individual accounts. As I said, it is hard to keep up with what releases Avid deposits into user accounts vs. makes available publicly. I gave you the link to the public downloads.

Quote:
They did not bother to make any upgrade patches for Pro Tools 8? That is really bad. So I have to buy a new system every 3 years?

Do you know what an upgrade costs?
Avid upgraded Pro Tools LE 8 multiple times. Its a ~5 year old technology base, 4 major releases ago. I gave you a link to a download page of several of those 8.x updates. Lots of good free updates there. But none of them will help you if you are tryign to run such old software on the very latest OS X release.

No software vendor guarantees extreme forward compatibility, certainly not for such complex software, and over so many years and so many major releases.

There are very few basic upgrade options, basically you can upgrade to Pro Tools 11 (which gets you an awful lot more capability than LE8, including 64 bit memory support, but needs AAX-64 plugins) and that also comes bundled with a license for Pro Tools 10 (which runs legacy RTAS and AAX-32 plugins). One benefit of Pro Tools 10 and 11 is unlike LE 8, they are not tied to your hardware and will work with any core audio interface, including the built in audio on your new iMac or most third party interfaces. You might also be able to purchase a used copy of Pro Tools 10 or similar on eBay of on the for sale section here, but you really want to known what you are doing here so you don't get ripped off.

That crossgrade/upgrade from LE to 11 with cost you $399. You can purchase that online from the Avid online store, Sweetwater or many others. You can also obtain a free trial online for 11 (which also allows you to trial 10). You need an iLok2 license dongle for the trial or purchase.

If you are a guitarist buying an Eleven Rack is a good way to get Pro Tools 11/10 and a great guitar interface/processor (and an iLok2). Or if you want a better interface then an Mbox 3 Pro also includes a full version of Pro Tools 11/10 and an iLok 2. If you are not tied to Pro Tools there are lots of other great DAWs out there including the new Logic Pro X.

Darryl