Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-08-2020, 03:31 AM

Default ScreenFlow and Protools

Hi,

I want to make a Protools tutorial using Screenflow and a microphone connected to my Avid IO.
I know i can use the Screenflow Telestream playback engine but that mutes all the inputs and thus my microphone.
Are there any workarounds to get microphone and PT output into Screenflow?
I checked out the LoopBack app without any results. Checked Dante Via but this gave me an immense delay on the microphone. Gets hard to talk naturally then...
Old 04-12-2020, 04:25 AM

Default Re: ScreenFlow and Protools

At Pro Tools Expert, we route the audio out of an HDX system and record the Mic and Pro Tools audio on a separate device. You could look at Source-Nexus from Source Elements to do the reroute of the audio out of Pro Tools, or change he playback engine to the Mac audio output and then tell Screenflow to record the computer audio. But I find using the separate device (in my case a ZoomR16) means that I have complete control in post of the Voiceover and the Pro Tools audio.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 04-12-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
At Pro Tools Expert, we route the audio out of an HDX system and record the Mic and Pro Tools audio on a separate device. You could look at Source-Nexus from Source Elements to do the reroute of the audio out of Pro Tools, or change he playback engine to the Mac audio output and then tell Screenflow to record the computer audio. But I find using the separate device (in my case a ZoomR16) means that I have complete control in post of the Voiceover and the Pro Tools audio.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the tip.
So after your screen is captured in screenflow and your audio in the Zoom.

what app do you marry the two?
Final cut? Premier?

And how do you lock / sync picture to the sound?

thanks in advance!

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 04-13-2020, 01:05 AM

Hi Sean,

To sync up I record a monitor mix of Pro Tools and my VO into my Mac audio input. Then at the start of the recording, I click my fingers for a sync mark.

I edit and mix in Screenflow. When I import the audio files from my Zoom into screenflow, I line up the finger click, then delete the guide audio. Then I am good to edit and mix within Screenflow.

Mike
Old 04-13-2020, 10:54 PM

Question Re: ScreenFlow and Protools

I'm encountering this issue now, as well. Recording an external microphone via an interface along with the stereo audio from Pro Tools and live screen capture seems to be a real issue for ScreenFlow.

I've been playing with various ways to get this to work. Mike- I can see why you would want to record on a separate, multi-channel audio device. I sure wish there was a better capture solution that could record multiple channels of audio synced with multiple video sources, ready for editing. I bet there is and I just haven't found it yet. Editing in ScreenFlow is a relative breeze compared to other NLEs so that is the draw for me there.

One thing I've noted is that this may be easier with other DAWs that allow you to select a different "interface" or source for the audio input and audio output. This YT tutorial seems to be utilizing that feature of Logic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFaSj5O17n0

Ableton Live is the only other DAW that I use regularly that lets you choose different audio input and output sources. To be fair, REAPER also allows this but does not recommend using this "legacy mode".