Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 PM

Default NEW OFFICIAL MAC G5 SPECS! HOLY COW!

1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, or Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 Processors
Up to 1 GHz processor bus
Up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM
Fast Serial ATA hard drives
AGP 8x Pro
Three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots
Three USB 2.0 Ports
One FW800, two FW400 ports
Bluetooth & Airport Extreme ready
Optical and analog audio in and out

HMM only "3" PCI SLOTS..but 8 gigs of ram. holy crap!!!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Re: NEW OFFICIAL MAC G5 SPECS! HOLY COW!

One can do great things with screen shots and Photoshop. Don't take MacRumors.com as the gospil (were it came from) they are wrong often and people send them this stuff all the time. Wait till monday.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:48 PM

These specs were posted earlier on the AppleStore.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:17 AM

I must say im very dissapointed about the 3 pci slot issue. Where will that leave the SCSI card to go on the HD3 system ? Do firewire drives have the same throughput as SCSI ? Ive always been dubious about using Firewire drives (maybe its because of my lack of knowledge on Firewire HD's) but im getting 50+ tracks in a 96k sessions across two SCSI drives without a problem..is that possible with Firewire? I know Firewire 800 is faster...but how can one utilise this speed..

Im planning on upgrading my mac to the G5 to jump on PT6 so any advice would be appreciated..

BTW Dual 2Gig CPU's.........WWOOOOWWW [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ......
I wonder how the HD3 will compare... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2003, 04:06 AM

i reckon that the optical i/o will have some interesting configuration possibilities for the prosumer market. maybe with Digi being cut out the picture.

but nobody seems to agree with me...
Old 06-20-2003, 06:34 AM

just to clarify, these specs actually came from the apple website. I saw it with my own eyes so these specs are real folks, unless someone hacked the apple website (HIGHLY doubt it)
Old 06-20-2003, 06:58 AM

Just speculating...but..I noticed last night..that the entire apple .com..domain went down for about at least an hour or so.

It's entirely possible..somebody goofed..and allowed linked access to the updated site pages...early and they took the entire site down..till someone could take care of the little..."goof".?.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:09 AM

Everything looks great except the 3 PCI slots. I NEED 4 !! Why would they remove one ?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:31 AM

It was on the site. I saw it with my own eyes. If you doubt it was real or a hack of the site consider this, Macrumors was asked to take down the screen shot by Apple.

I think the optical out might be more for a home theater type of application. Hopefully it will be more though.

More Power Good.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barron:
I must say im very dissapointed about the 3 pci slot issue. Where will that leave the SCSI card to go on the HD3 system ? Do firewire drives have the same throughput as SCSI ? Ive always been dubious about using Firewire drives (maybe its because of my lack of knowledge on Firewire HD's) but im getting 50+ tracks in a 96k sessions across two SCSI drives without a problem..is that possible with Firewire? I know Firewire 800 is faster...but how can one utilise this speed..

Im planning on upgrading my mac to the G5 to jump on PT6 so any advice would be appreciated..

BTW Dual 2Gig CPU's.........WWOOOOWWW [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ......
I wonder how the HD3 will compare... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Firewire drives are just as fast and with the new 800Mbit spec they almost have as much throughput (100MB upposed to 160MB). However... the BIG difference and the most cricial is that SCSI does all it's disk operational processing on the SCSI controller. FW and IDE's (which are the sames, except for the transport) use the CPU of the computer for disk operations.

What that means is that if you start getting into really tough disk operations (like multitrack audio) or a file lock, your CPU could and often does stop processing software stuff. It may be too fast for you to see, but it's doing it and that will accumulate to something that will seriously degradate performance.

With a DSP based system, this may not be as critical, but for host based stuff it definately is.

-Tom