Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Backwards Compatibility

Hello all,

I'm attempting to move a PTLE 6.4 session to a machine with OS9 and PTLE 5.1.

When I attempt to save a session copy in 5, it forces me to convert the audio files to SDII from AIFF. I already have the audio files on the target machine and just want to save the session document in 5. This is a huge session and to convert/rewrite the audio files seems redundant.

In short, is there any way for me to "downgrade" my session without this conversion.

Also, will PTLE 5.1 open a 6.4 session? I seem to remember that 5.1 would open a 6.X.X session.

Regards,

Mulderg
Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Backwards Compatibility

I recently did a session on my OSX system with 6.4 and had it mixed at a different studio that was OS9 using 5.1 and everything worked great...in the end. I saved all my session files as normal (as 6.4) onto an external drive to take over to the other studio.

When we hooked it all up we did notice that at first all of the PT icons and such looked different and for some reason it would not open any of the sessions files. Each session file icon only showed the song name (i.e. song1) without the file extension on the end of it (i.e. song1.pts). I'm not at my studio as of this writing so I don't remember if the .pts is the actual extension for a ProTools file name, but you get the idea.

Well, all we had to do was add the .pts at the end of each PT "session launch" file icons and all was well again. Everything opened right up and we were mixing in no time. I'm sure there may be a better way at doing this, but at least this way I didn't have to convert any of my files and could bring everything back and forth with ease.

Hope this helps you.