Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 AM

Default Using Mbox as a sound card in Vista?

Hey,

I've just bought a new pair of active monitors to go with my Mbox 2 Mini and I'd like to use them as my default speakers for iTunes, games, and so forth on my PC. I'd read that this was possible but a little research turned up the fact that this was not the case at all in Vista, and that it only ran audio from one application a time on XP. Obviously this isn't too practical.

I am toying with the idea of plugging my computer sound card's audio output into one of my line inputs on my Mbox, but it seems that those inputs won't work unless Pro Tools is running and a track is created and armed. Obviously this isn't too practical either.

I'm wondering what my options are now. I've tried plugging a jack to RCA converter into the back of the PC and then running an RCA cable into the unbalanced input of each monitor, but this is giving me a really bass-heavy sound and I obviously have no way to EQ or alter it asides from the HF/LF boost/cuts on the back of the monitors, which aren't enough.

I'm also considering picking up a cheap Behringer mixer, something like the UB502, running the 3.5mm out of my PC into an input of that, then connecting the monitors to its outputs, but I don't really want to buy anything else unless I know it'll work correctly.

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions for me?

Thanks very much!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Using Mbox as a sound card in Vista?

Welcome to DigiWorld! :))

Mixer or something like "monitor station" will be a good solution for you.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:45 PM

Ok first of all you want to use this simi pro card as a generic card you
this is not a generic audio interface.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Check out the Samson C control.