Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-08-2003, 03:42 PM

Default Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI

I recently replaced my K7S5A motherboard with MSI K7N2 Delta Series. Since replacing this part, I keep on getting this damn error every 8 seconds into a session.

Pro tool sis unable to communicate with HUI. Powercycle HUI and check its connection. if HUI is working properly, communication will automatically be resumed. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings.

This has got to be one of the most annoying errors since I started using Pro Tools.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ProTools several times. I also moved my PCI cards around a billion times already. I made sure that Protools is not sharing IRQ with another device. I disabled all my usb, network card, and onboard sound card.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I am using PT 5.3.1 on XP Home
AMD XP 1700
512MB RAM
60GB Harddrive Space

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI

Do you have a HUI?

Bastiaan
Old 09-09-2003, 08:53 AM

Thanks for replying!

I do have a HUI and it's connected properly. Everything was working fine until I replaced the motherboard. The old motherboard was a lower end motherboard and I atarted having speed issues with it. I had no problem running protools with the HUI at the time. I replaced the motherboard with a more robust motherboard and now all these issues are coming.

I also started getting the following DAE errors frequently now:

The PCI bus is too busy for DAE to communicate reliably with the audio hardware (-6042)
Old 09-09-2003, 11:32 AM

If you simply swapped mobo's...try updating your drivers for the mobo (4 in 1 drivers maybe?), update for your graphiocs adaptor and a re-install of ptle. Also disable all the stuff you dont need, like usb-ports, firewire, serial, parallel ports, internal audio, internal network.

If you can, try hooking up the HUI to another midi-connection

Bastiaan
Old 09-09-2003, 12:09 PM

How much Ram do you have on that motherboard? Sounds like that pesky paging file issue.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:13 PM

I have 512MB RAM in my system
Old 09-09-2003, 06:09 PM

Bastiaan,

What is (4 in 1 drivers)?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:35 PM

Some drivers for a VIA chipset, wich i think you dont have in that mobo of yours...

But maybe you have something similar with your chipset.

Bastiaan
Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 AM

Are you using HUI with a 001 or 002/002Rack? I'm using a HUI with my Digi001 and PTLE 5.3.1 on XP home, no problems.

A few things worth noting:

- use your Digidesign interface's MIDI in/out ports for the HUI, not a different MIDI interface. Not sure why, but someone recommended that once, and it works for me.

- your system specs lists "60GB Harddrive Space" -- is that one 60GB drive that you use for your system *and* audio, or is that just the audio? It's best to use a separate drive for your audio files.

I apologize if you've heard this all before, but it's all that I can think of.

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 12:33 PM

Hi! How is the HUI interfaced (ie, what MIDI unit)? If it is a USB powered MIDI interface, the MB *may* not have adequate power for the interface. This could lead to an occasional drop-out, which could result in the HUI not communicating with PT. Since u mentioned disabling USB, I assume that means it is a parallel port interface? If so, double check the BIOS settings for that port, and check the docs for the MIDI interface for suggested BIOS port settings.

I would also try hooking a MIDI sound source, or better still a MIDI sound source with keyboard, and try playing back some MIDI tracks (and recording). Any dropouts? Major drift?

If you could list the MIDI interface, type of connection, port on interface used, any other devices connected to the interface, and anything else on the parallel port if applicable (ie, MIDI interface is on thru port of printer, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.