Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Default Critically low with 16GB?

HISTORY: Just replaced my old internal system drive with an SSD. Reinstalled everything: OS10.7.5, PTools 10.3.7, Komplete 7, and several other NI's, about 10 Toontrack drum/percussion plugs, EzKeys. All plug-in instrument sound files reside on an internal SSD (not the system SSD). PT audio is recorded to an external Glyph raid-0 drive (USB2), or an internal eSATA drive. I'm running 8-core 2.26 Mac Pro with 16GB Ram. So the system is plenty fast.
PROBLEM: Constantly getting the message "PT is critically low on memory - save the session and reboot, etc". PT usually crashes before I can even respond. This will happen in sessions with only 4 tracks of 24/96k and maybe only 2-5 plug-ins, and only 1 or two instruments running. Regardless, it crashes constantly - just in Playback not even recording. I have opened and built new sessions - same result. When I open EzKeys or NI Session Strings Pro (any bigger plug-ins), I can't play more than 3 seconds without a crash. Monitoring the CPU and RAM, shows that Im at 20-30% of CPU and disc is only like 2% maxed. Certainly not the prob. I've read all the forums and there are no decent suggestions. Way back when in PT - we were asked to "Trash Prefs" when memory issues occurred. Can't imagine how that relates to this but it's all I've got. Have also spoken with both NI and ToonTrack - they claim the Pontius Pilate defense, and put it back on Avid's jurisdiction. Anybody?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Critically low with 16GB?

Have you opened the Activity Monitor (from the Utilities folder) and checked what eats most memory?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM

well for one, i wouldnt record to an external USB drive. USB2 is way too slow. That can give you the error.

I am not sure why you have the external USB drive at all.

You have internal SSD system drive, internal SSD VI samples drive, internal esata drive for recording audio. You shouldnt need any other drives. The USB drive could be used for backups but it will be slow to backup.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 12-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Yeah, thanks that's what I refer to as - CPU is about 20%, RAM 3-5% etc. No it's not taxing the Mac at all. The session can be loaded, actually sitting idle (not playing) and crash, nonetheless. Also, I originally misspoke - I don't have any USB2 stuff at all, my audio drives are either external Firewire 800 Raid-0 or internal eSATA. Ron
Old 12-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Sorry, I originally misspoke - I don't have any USB2 stuff except for offline backup (I meant Firewire 800). My audio drives are either external Firewire 800 Raid-0 or internal eSATA. I also edit video in Premier Pro and that's what the other drive does.
Tnx, Ron
Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Hey, thanks for all the useful suggestions. And yeah, the RAM issues are going to be mute if only 4GB is available. So, taking your advice; I'm starting with trashing data bases and prefs. Yes all plugs are PT10 and OSX compatible. Actually what you said got me to thinking. Because I possess some older software (like Final Cut 7 - that I need to access to redo a session from time to time) that will not run on anything past early Lion, I keep my old eSATA boot disk on line. I only boot with that drive if I need to go back to older software. But it hit me that the earlier versions of PT as well as plug-in folders are still resident there. Possibly, these programs are still being looked at by PTools. So, I'm pulling those other drives and then rebooting with just my new SSD and clean eSATA drives. Less clutter hopefully = arrow through apple. Ill work on these options. Thanks, Ron
Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Darryl, I know that the installs are clean as I just installed everything to a newly formatted SSD and followed the installs through to the correct disc or discs. I.e, the system disc holds each application (PT, Ez Keys, Superior Drummer, etc.) and other SSD holds only the samples for the Ni and Toontrack instruments. When I remove plug-in's from folders do I just drag them to another drive or the trash and then put them back on, as the problem recovers?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 PM

have not seen a memory crash since I left EZKeys out of the plugs folder. There are a few others still out, but so far EZkeys is the culprit. I'll keep experimenting. Gotta get some sleep. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:16 AM

16 GB of RAM should be good enough for running a lot of Virtual Instruments ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
16 GB of RAM should be good enough for running a lot of Virtual Instruments ?
I have never had a trouble with 6GB, let alone 16GB workstations. If you have, it must be something else than how much memory you have installed.