How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Cheapest way to record guitar into Protools 9

Hi guys, thanks in advance...

My band is slowly piecing together a recording setup but of course we are super broke. Right now the goal is to just be able to make decent sounding "scratch tracks" that we can play and edit back to each other with new music and song ideas.

Previously we made scratch tracks by using garage band and recording everything at once(drums, guitar, bass) in a room. So it shouldn't be too hard to step it up a notch. As I was saying I'm not interested in spending a ton of money because any REAL recording we do will be done in a studio. I just want to be able to put together decent sounding scratch tracks.

Right now I make the drum lines w/ Xpand2 and add in synths. All I need to do is track real guitar and bass so it sounds more real than playing it with my keyboard. Here is what we own:

Protools 9
Mid 2008 black Macbook(2.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM, whatever stock sound card)
Guitars/Basses
Guitar amps/Bass amps
SM57 and SM58
M-Audio Axiom 25

So what would you suggest for someone who is pretty new to recording and wants to do this on the CHEAP? I was looking at those Mboxes of course would that be a good route, if so any suggestions?

Or if there is a cheaper way to do it...like I said I have an amp, an SM57(which I believe is good for instruments), and I could purchase/find whatever cable I need. Or if I should buy an audio interface like said Mbox could someone just tell me which one to get and what I need to get it all set up?

(Is there not anyway to just have a cable plug the guitar straight into the computer and have a program do the amping and whatnot?) (lol if this is a retarded question, clearly I do not know much about this stuff... I just stick to playing guitar haha)

Thank you in advance guys!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Cheapest way to record guitar into Protools 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdude777 View Post
(Is there not anyway to just have a cable plug the guitar straight into the computer and have a program do the amping and whatnot?)
You need some type of interface to allow the computer and the guitar to 'communicate'....the Eleven Rack is an awesome way to do it, but it's not exactly cheap. You can go with the Mbox for a fairly decent price range and it will work well for what your after too.

The cheapest thing I found (about $34.00) is the Behringer Guitar Link

Good Luck

Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM

You might want to check out the Apogee Jam for $99:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Jam

But for $269 (not a whole lot more), you could get the new Mbox Mini (hardware only, no Protools software bundled with it), and then you'll have a lot more flexibility to hook up a microphone, monitors, headphones, etc. And you can still record direct through the DI, or mic your amp through the mic input:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMboxMini/
Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 PM

I found a Mbox 2 Mini on my local craigslist for $125... is this a solid deal, will it be able to do the things I need it to do?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Edit - (wasn't sure how big of difference there is between mbox mini recommended above and mbox 2 mini)
Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Also I guess I could get "M-Audio Fast Track Mbox" from a guy in my city as well for $60 which is pretty cheap... will this do the trick? Should I spring a little more for better features assuming the more expensive Mbox 2 Mini has them?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
So what would you suggest for someone who is pretty new to recording and wants to do this on the CHEAP?
Well the cheapest interface I have found is the Guitar Link, no brand name, but it is the same shape as the Behringer Guitar Link and uses the Behringer Drivers and comes with some free Guitar Rig software usually.

You can find the Guitar Link on eBay for $13.00 and some have bought it for as low as $6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Guitar...#ht_2218wt_983

I document the Guitar Link in this video:

Guitar Link - Unboxing and Demo - Pro Tools 9 - YouTube

I also show how to set it up with PT9, Amplitube and other Guitar Apps. I have also use it with Reaper.

Guitar Link - How To Setup With - Amplitube - YouTube

Guitar Link - How To Setup With - Pro Tools 9 - YouTube

Guitar Link - How To Setup With - Guitar Rig - YouTube

Guitar Link - How To Setup With - Overloud TH2 - YouTube

Quote:
I found a Mbox 2 Mini on my local craigslist for $125... is this a solid deal
Its not bad according to Worth Monkey http://worthmonkey.com/#/mbox%202%20mini

But is it in good condition? Does it come with any software? Also know that the Mbox 2 series is no longer in production, and will not be supported in further Pro Tools releases.

Personally I think $125 is way to high for a Mbox 2 Mini, I would say $45-$50 and $80 max if it includes PTLE (even though you dont actually need it since you have PT9) $125 for the Mbox 2 is not bad, but too much for the Mini IMO.

Quote:
wasn't sure how big of difference there is between mbox mini recommended above and mbox 2 mini
There is a huge difference. The Mbox 2 is an old model, the new model is the Mbox, not to be confused with the first Mbox, which was also just called 'Mbox' and is older than both the Mbox 2 and the new Mbox.

The new Mbox's will be supported for a long time, and they sound much better than the old mbox's (or at least that is what I have read and heard)

Pictures of the Mbox's:

First Mbox - http://www.pawnplex.com/Musical-ins/...x/DSC00051.JPG

Mbox 2 series:

Mbox 2 - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-4egJMLhO4...nt_backLRG.jpg

Mbox 2 Mini - http://proplugin.com/media/catalog/p...ini2_large.jpg

Mbox 2 Pro - http://kharkov.freeads.in.ua/content...frontbackb.jpg

Mbox 2 Micro - http://images04.olx.cl/ui/8/67/52/12...1282752929.jpg

The new Avid Mbox's (sometimes called the Mbox 3, but not an official name):

Mbox Mini - http://www.michenaud.com/upDATA/imgA.../big/13680.jpg

Mbox - http://www.reasonfrance.fr/francomue..._Specs_800.jpg

Mbox Pro - http://www.loopinsight.com/wp-conten...00-640x388.jpg

All 3 -
http://port.rittor-music.co.jp/sound..._Mbox-main.jpg

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-11-2011, 02:42 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

i think it depends on how many simultaneous inputs is required. I'm a big fan of Apogee, having messed around with the Duet a couple years back, even though that's out of the OPs price range, the Apogee One on the otherhand is a great option if only one input is required.

you can hook up a mic via breakout cable, or even plug in direct. And from what I have heard, the internal mic sounds pretty good for vocals considering. It may even yield better results than the SM58.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM

If its cost your worried about, i woulden't look much further than a guitar link and sansamp. You can crank some actually decent tones out of sansamp and its a built in plug in to protools. Its what i used with my old mbox before I got amplitube and eventually my Eleven rack.

Hell, try to find an Mbox 2 mini that comes with protools and youll be rockin'

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Haha well crap I wish I would have waited a long to buy this but oh well. I pulled the trigger yesterday and got a monitor for editting at the same time so I ended up getting the Mbox 2 Mini.

My question is when I plug it into my computer via USB it doesn't even light up, but I don't think the guy I bought from would sell me something faulty. I was looking around and it says you need to have the right drivers and what not installed... I am already running Protools 9...the ONLY thing I got was the box, no manual or key(if I need one)... what do I need to have installed in order for this to work, could someone help me out?

Thank you!

Alex
Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 AM

Dice! Installed the drivers and got it powered on

I was reading through the manual and I just have a couple questions, want to get started laying down a guitar track in my current project asap

Reading around it said that DI'ing the guitar straight in will sound like crap...is this the kind of thing where you plug the guitar straight in, and then there are programs you use as an 'amp' or for 'effects', am I understanding this right? And is it true this will sound like crap?

As I said I have a Fender Hot Rod and an SM57...would this be the ideal way to record the track? And if so how exactly do I need to set everything up in order to make that work?

My other question is it said in the manual something about plugging your speakers straight into the Mbox to hear back audio... is it true that I will need to do this in order to hear back anything I record with the Mbox? Because my speakers go into my computer on a 1/8th jack and the Mbox calls for a 1/4th jack...(in fact it calls for a L and R of them I believe so I would need to get some sort of splitter?) ... which if I needed to set it up like that I would make it happen, I'm just surprised it was trying to say my regular computer speakers plugged in to my computer wouldn't do the trick.

THANKS IN ADVANCE...sorry for all the questions...but damn am I pumped for this weekend! Locking myself in and making some music.