Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: What does Protools LE does 32 tracks really me

HI Piotr,

I cannot verify your experience I created a 32 Audio track session and added 1 Audio track.
of course PT said to many voices playing

I diabled that track and added a Stereo AUX, so I have 32 Audio tracks plus 1 AUX with an
soft instrument on it track playing.

This leaves my guess that there is something in how you setup your session or your system.

sorry.

regs
Old 09-04-2005, 09:32 AM

OK.

So I spent some time working this out. Or trying to work it out...

First: I have another session example, where I have mere 16 active audio voices, 13 aux tracks, 1 master fader, and 5 MIDI tracks. This session also presents the warning message about track count being too high, every time I open it. What is strange, is that when I create additional audio tracks in that sesssion, PT does NOT present that warning message... though "logically" it should. Also, I can't tell for sure, but when I play that session, it does not seem to silence any tracks.

Then: I tried to replicate my problem... and I could not! (I am sure it will come back when I don't want it to...) I can create a session with 32 audio voices, another 32, or so, of aux tracks, run instruments and what not... but this test session does not produce the warning! It does the warning if I try to add another audio track though... just like it is supposed to.

So, something must be messed up on my machine? I ran all the troubleshooting suggestions (permissions, trashed prefs and databases etc.) , but the warning message still appeaars on the example sessions I brought up.

I am wondering if anyone has any theories about this... Digi? Is that a bug? Is it a matter of certain settings, or HOW the tracks are managed?

Thank you for your advice/expertise.

p.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 AM

Piotr, the 16 voices in that session have maybe been made stereo with a mono-to-stereo insert? ie 32.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Cliffy,

Thank you very much for your post, but no no ... : there are 7 stereo and two mono tracks: TOTAL of 16 voices.

I really am not sure at all what this means. But given how the issue surfaced in OSX implementation of PTLE, I am suspecting that this has something to do with the new features maybe? Like the backup files or database files?

I am hoping that Digi will chime in here with some insight...
p.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Piotr,

when you get this alert are you in fact prevented from record/playback-enabling 32 tracks/voices?

maccool.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:19 AM

What's the exact wording of the error you get?

I would try a straight 32 mono track set up, see if you can record and play back a minutes worth of audio across all the tracks.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:35 AM

KamaSutra77, maccool, and all,

The exact wording is this:
"There are more active audio tracks than available voices. As a result, one or more audio tracks will not play."

I have tried building a full 32 track session with additional aux etc. and that works (strangely) fine... the problem exists in several sessions I have recorded earlier last month.

AND

maccool, no - I am not prevented from adding new tracks... I can add more tracks to the session, and when I do so I do not get the warning message. The message only comes up when I open the session... which is what makes it strange. So, I guess, this does not seem to have an affect on the functionality, but must be a sign of something going wrong... just don't know what.

As of this moment I am unable to duplicate this problem (make a session on purpose that would act this way)... and it does not happen to all my sessions -- just some, where track count really is not even close to the supposed limits (see my earlier posts)...

p.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Oh, well as long as it works. Maybe try trashing your prefs, if it really bugs you.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:56 PM

disable quickpunch.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:25 PM

Chris,
I had to double check to make sure, and QuickPunch (in Operations menu) is and has been disabled... For a second you got me excited that this is some simple thing like that... but not.
Thank you for your suggestion though.
p.