Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Re: controlling the motif through midi

I guess the first question I should be asking is. Does anyone out their have a Yamaha Motif Keyboard?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:33 AM

I am running the motifs predecessor, the EX5.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:35 PM

Default -- I am the MIDIdiot --

Quote:
I guess the first question I should be asking is. Does anyone out their have a Yamaha Motif Keyboard?
I do ... and I am a total MIDIdiot. I also have a Roland TD8/Studio Kit setup that has midi in/out-thru capabilities. I also have a Boss GT-6 that has MIDI in/out. I am trying to learn how to connect all of my MIDI gear so that my 002/PTLE Rig can receive/record MIDI data, control devices, and be the space shuttle cockpit that I know it can be . To put it this way, I haven't even figured out how to use the PT metronome (yet).

The problem is, I come from a completely analog, guitar player background -- jus' gimme a mic, stick it in front of somethin' and git to playin'. Now, I have these wonderful new toys that have already yeilded results, but I am a complete noob in the MIDI realm. I am not compeletly without computer faculties (as I am sure all of us have to be comfortable with computer method here), but I am daunted by the task of linking all my gear together.

So I guess what I am saying is this: I am a very interested lurker to this thread.

CrossFire Studios
Old 12-08-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: -- I am the MIDIdiot --

ah ha! i see.

well you can daisy chain them together, but that might drive you mad trying figuring out.

you may want to get a MIDMAN 4x4 (or something similiar). Plug all your MIDI into it, and it connects to your computer via USB. Thats what i use to connect all my midi devices to my computer. then you can choose your MIDI inputs/outputs (like you do your Audio inputs) from Protools.

dov
Old 12-08-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Re: -- I am the MIDIdiot --

Mad?? <wringing hands feverishly, white knuckles glaring in the pale light of my laboratory> Who ever said I was MAADDD??? MUAH HAH HAH ... HAH HAHHAAHAHAHAH *cough* ... oops, wet 'em

CrossFire Studios
Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 AM

i have a motif Es and PT DIGI002 on a WINxp pc. i would be very intrested ina ll the info i can get and give.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 AM

Quote:
PTLE's timing is more accurrate than any keyboard or hardware sequencer.
This is just not true. Although software sequencers are very good, they are still forced to work under the variable of processor power. Hardware samplers such as your mpc do not have processor issues. Not to mention you are talking about the PTLE sequencer which leaves things to be desired. If you were talking logic or cubase for sequencing maybe...
Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 AM

hi,
since the motif has been brought up i wll ask my questions.
i have a motif es6 a triton studio, virus xl,emu turbo phatt,roland xv5050.
also to add i have a midi man 8x8. i want to use the motif and the triton to control all these synths. and have pro tools sync with my 002r. how can i do this midi wise???? i really want to be able to use either sequencer on the triton or motif. so how do i do this?? i've asked a few times and still got no reply anybody up to it???
Old 12-09-2003, 05:17 PM

Well ... I have things working ... at least preliminarily (is that a word?). I ran MIDI cables in a simple loop (Out to In, In to Out) between my 002 and Motif. I then set up the Motif ES8 to sync with the 002 thusly:

1st set the MIDI In/Out to MIDI ([Utility] -> [F5] -> [SF4])
2nd set the MIDI sync parameter to MIDI ([Utility] -> [F5] -> [SF3])

Seems to work for me ... I can record midi notes, and play them back using the synth as my sound module via an audio track. Now if I can just plug the Roland TD8 in there somewhere <scratching my head>.

Let me know if this helps/hurts/confuses ... or is just plain wrong!

CrossFire Studios
Old 12-09-2003, 05:30 PM

Citi:

I was aware the statement wasn't quite true. The truest statement would be that PTLE's timing is different, but then Roland's timing isn't exactly the same as Korg's. I believe the MPC still has a processor in it as do computers, so it would still suffer from timing inaccuracies. The problem is not the processor which is extremely fast, but the inherent sloppy timing of midi.

Having recorded to audio some midi drums tracks, trimed out the beginning and tabbed to transient in grid mode, you can clearly see that midi itself isn't accurrate. I recorded from an 80s keyboard workstation and was surprised to see every beat losing about 45 milliseconds. I was even more surprised to see a newer keyboard still had the same problem. The same test with PTLE controlling the sequence is much better (better than 45 milliseconds) but the beat is still all over the place. This is why in midi sample accurate is the rage. Now if only Digidesign would release the drivers for XP for the Midi I/O.