Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 02:14 AM

Default [OT]Slim or PK,,Logic questions,,

I'm thinking about adding Logic Pro to my set up and i know both of you are Logic users so i'm hoping you can help me out with a couple of questions,,
Dose Logic have a function similar to, or the same as PT's tab to transient,,?
And also dose it have an operation that works the same as PT's Identify Beat,,?
When you use the FREEZE function,, dose it work on third party plugs or only the logic plugs,,?
How much of a chore is setting up the environment to see RE-WIRE apps,,?
Okay,,
Thats about it,,
Cheers
Charlie
Old 06-22-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: [OT]Slim or PK,,Logic questions,,

Hate to burst your bubble, but I just sold my Logic Pro.

I really did have high hopes for it, but the more I got comfortable with it, the more it's drawbacks were magnified. I realise I didn't quite give it a fair amount of time but that's just how I am. I was hoping to have the "do-it-all" program, which theoretically speaking, Logic is, but it's depth and complexity are just way more than what I need at the moment. On a personal level, I have quite a lot to deal with as well and I'm just not in the proper mindset to learn such a program.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm not dissing Logic, not at all, it truly is a brilliant program but if you're coming from a PT/Reason/Live environment, get ready to hit the books as there's a lot to learn. To make the most out of Logic, you really have to be willing to learn, it is not intuitive at all (not at first). Things that you got used to doing in one step in PT will take 3 extra steps to do in Logic.

To answer your questions, though.

1- yes
2- yes
3- not sure
4- the environment in general is a chore, but you do it once (a few hours work) and you're good to go. You configure ReWire apps the same way you configure audio objects, instruments, etc.

One last thing. If there was another reason that made me sell Logic and truly appreciate what I already have, it was this announcement.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:18 AM

I'll finish up for PK:

3). I haven't had much luck with the freeze function on 3rd party AU instruments like the Spectrasonics stuff - I'm not sure if it's that way for all non-Logic plugs, but that's my experience.
4). I don't find the environment to be that difficult, but I spend a lot of time plugging and unplugging things in my studio, and the environment is just like a virtual version of that. Once you've set up an Autoload that includes inputs for Rewired apps, you never have to deal with it again, it's just ready to go every time you start a new session, which one of the things I love about logic.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:19 PM

Tab to transients - are you sure pk? what are you using in Logic that approximates this?

Environment setup should take minutes, not hours - unless you're into some really hardcore customization. The trick is to make sure you have enough audio objects when you first set it up. If you select as many tracks as possible when running the setup wizard, you should have more than enough to work with. Changing what's on a track (Audio, Rewire, etc) is as simple as choosing it from the tracks properties on the left side of the Arrange window.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:21 PM

Cheers,, thanks for the help,,
PK,, LIVE 4 looks awesome and i've spent time using LIVE 3 on a friends set up, but for me, it's still a bit like REASON in so far as it's very good as a finisher or a starter but as an environment to do the bulk of my work i need something a bit more like PT or LOGIC,,
Can you give me a quick explanation of how the Identify Beat and Tab to Transient features work,,,?
SLIM,, I gather from some of your other posts that you are almost 100% using LOGIC now,, how gradual was your shift from PT to LOGIC and how was the shift,,?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:30 PM

I'm nowhere close to 100% with logic, and don't plan to be. I only use Logic at the beginning stages during composition because of the better MIDI, softsynth and rewire integration. Once the song or cue gets more finalized though, everything gets bounced to audio and then it's PT from there on out for editing, transport to the tracking studios, and all the mixing. I never viewed logic as a replacement, just another tool for a different type of job.

I also happen to use Logic as the backbone of my live rig, using the softsynths basically as you would a rackmount synth - different sounds on different channels, bussed to different effects etc.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:07 PM

Quote:

PK,, LIVE 4 looks awesome and i've spent time using LIVE 3 on a friends set up, but for me, it's still a bit like REASON in so far as it's very good as a finisher or a starter but as an environment to do the bulk of my work i need something a bit more like PT or LOGIC
I guess it all depends on what works for you. I'm pretty methodical about my workflow nowadays and Live - to me - offers just about everything I need to get ideas down quickly. I know most people use the Session View in Live (vertical colums with slots), but I use the Arranger View, which is a more sequencer-like window, not too unlike PT or Logic (it's alarming how many people don't know about that window option). I can record any audio I want into Live at 24bit with almost no latency (w/002R) and the midi in the forthcoming version 4 will be one of the very few missing features (it'll have a built-in sampler, drum module, VSTi implementation, and MIDI out to control external devices - sweeeeet).

Quote:
Can you give me a quick explanation of how the Identify Beat and Tab to Transient features work,,,?

My bad, I meant to say no but I typed yes. Logic does not have a 'tab to transient' quick-key like PT does, but achieving the same result is easy in the editor window. Place cursor on transient and snip-snip.

Good luck with Logic!