Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Recommendations for 8-channel mic pre w/ADAT out?

After reading your first thread, I'm inclined to believe you had a bad Digimax.
Granted, I haven't used it. But if it's a noisy as you say, I can't believe they sold any at that price.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:06 PM

You might want to take a look at the Focusrite ISA 428 Pre Pack with the adat option (only gives you 4 pres but does give you 8 channels of a/d)
Old 09-09-2003, 04:04 PM

3JDamon, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.. actually, to get "my sound", I run the mono output to a Radio Shack AM radio transmitter and pick that up on my car radio. I record this on a micro cassette and use it as my master.

But seriously, folks! With approximately the same gain on my Mackie mixer, I was getting noticeably less noise from it than I was getting from the Digimax. It was especially noticeable using one of my SM57s. Now, JMS40 may be right- maybe I did get a bad Digimax. I will try another unit.

db
Old 09-15-2003, 12:38 PM

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Presonus. I would definitely try a different one. I recently bought the digimax LT, and I do think the pres are ever so slightly better than those on my mackie board. With a 57, you should have gain to spare unless you are going for the louie louie singing from across the room sort of sound. I will try it with my micro cassette player and let you know how it goes.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:08 PM

This one looks really interesting:

clm dynamics
Old 09-15-2003, 01:45 PM

I have not hear this unit yet but it is now shipping.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...A8000&lang=eng

I am sure it is not the best out there but you get a lot for your money.

If I was on a low budget I would give one a try.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 PM

From what I have heard...ALL OVER THIS DUC...ada8000 is about as good as an 001 with 6 additional pres. Not much bang for your money and people whom can be trusted like Bastaain, have sent theres back for different reasons.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Recommendations for 8-channel mic pre w/ADAT o

Cranesong Spider www.cranesong.com hands down

Allen
Old 09-19-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Recommendations for 8-channel mic pre w/ADAT o

Allen,

Yes, I looked at the Cranesong Spider at their Web site, but jeez! $7500. If I had that kind of bucks, I'd be considering an HD-1 system. I was hoping to get a competent 8-channel mic pre with A/D converter and ADAT output for $2,000 or less. Is this unreasonable? I tried 2 different Presonus Digimax 96 units, and both of them had a noticeably higher background hiss level than either my 001 pres or the Mackie pres in my 1202-VLZ pro mixer.

The Guitar Center rep I'm working with said he mentioned my experience with the Digimax 96 to the president (CEO?) of Presonus at some meeting, and apparently the guy was surprised that I thought the performance of the pres in the Digimax 96 was below that of the Mackie mixer. I dunno- I recorded a short session, just speaking into an SM-57 mic about two feet away, using one channel of the the Digimax 96, then an 001 mic pre, then the Mackie mixer mic pre, to a track in Pro Tools. The input to the 001 was via ADAT from the Presonus, and to a line input from the Mackie mixer pre. On each mic pre, I set the gain to maximum. The differences in recorded level and background hiss are obvious on playback.

I have been looking at other options. Since the Mackie XDR mic pres are the best I have encountered so far, (and at a very reasonable cost, too!), I was considering getting another small mixer like the 1642-VLZ Pro (about $700 street), which would give me 10 mic preamps. I could use the direct outs from 8 of those pres into an AD converter, then light pipe it into my 002. Now the question becomes what is the best-quality AD converter w/ADAT out for $1300 or less? I've looked at the Apogee AD-8000; looks good, but pricey. The Lucid ADA8824 looks good, but I didn't see a price. The RME ADI-8 Pro also looks good, but it may be out of my price range, too.

But, I would much rather have an all-in-one mic pre/AD converter, preferably with a brick wall limiter, for when I do location recording. Hauling around a separate mixer, AD converter, the 002, and my computer, is not an optimum solution..

Mackie? Are you listening? Package 8 of your XDR mic pres into a box with a AD converter and limiter of comparable quality, and an ADAT output, for $1,500 or less, and I'll get one!

Doug
Old 09-19-2003, 09:40 AM

J Old School, thanks for the mention of the CLM Dynamics DB8000S - it looks like a high-quality unit. From Wave Distribution's dealer list, I see that there are no dealers here in San Diego, but at least there are some in LA.

Doug