Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2006, 07:16 AM

Default Setting up MIDI drum sounds/building MIDI click

Greetings,
I want to build MIDI click tracks for a band/drummer who request more live sounding time reference.The drummer plays very stiff to a metronome sounding click and is a tasty drummer but tends to speed up a touch and gives songs some "slipping".Traditionally ,I would just set up a click but they requested I build some MIDI drum sounds.I also should probaly hone my MIDI skills or lack there of.I have never ( under 5)really worked with MIDI ever so an entire walk thru would be ideal.I have navigated into my Indigo Plug in and looked at sound banks.How do I get these into session ?set tempo? any and all ifo would be very helpful. thank you.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Setting up MIDI drum sounds/building MIDI click

Same problem here. I'm a drummer. I've done sessions where I've brought in my own drum machine and used sounds to create a MIDI click. Way, Way better than the stock clicks sounds in PT. Problem is, some engineers don't know how to do this and since I don't know how myself I always get stuck using the stock click. I've got a session next week and want my own click! I know the engineer doesn't know how to do this. Teach me how so I can show him, please!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Setting up MIDI drum sounds/building MIDI click

Well All Yall, can do it the "Fancy new way" if you've Pro-Tools 7 - insert your softSynth of choice on an "Instrument Track" draw 4 1/4 notes, 1/8th notes (What ever you prefer) on what ever note=sound you'd like to trigger - Quantize the Bar, then Alt+R to repeat for how many number of bars you want your click.

You can set up a click, in 10 seconds.

If you're using an earlier version of pro tools....

Insert your softSynth on an Aux - Create a Midi track - Set the Midi track's output to the Softsynth - then... draw, or play your first bar of click as described above, quantize it, and repeat, or duplicate that bar.

It'd be a nice improvement on PT's Click pluggin to be able to load your own sound file.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 03-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Setting up MIDI drum sounds/building MIDI clic

My way: I create two click sounds I like, one for first beat and the second for other beats. I place one at beat one, the other at beats 2, 3, 4 (etc.) in an audio track while set to Grid. Then I copy that bar as many times as I need and - VOILA - sounds I like, no latency issues, etc. If you need it external the Protools session, just solo it and burn to disc.