Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Proper Recording Levels

One another thing to consider is the power supply of the analog gear. Even if digital is "perfect", analog is not. If you drive your analog stage to the extreme, it will sound nasty even though the digital side of the story thinks everything is alrighty.

Your final mix will likely have very much less than 24 dB dynamics so why bother taking risks? Just record lower levels, mix better, leave the hot levels to mastering.

I dare you. Next time you're tracking, prepare to record same song twice. One with hot levels and another with peaks at -20dBFS. Then mix both songs to your liking. Ask your best friend to pick which one (s)he prefers. I bet most of the time, the lower-level-tracked version is liked more.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM

http://therecordingrevolution.com/20...m-in-your-mix/
here's a good one
Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
Great article, worth reading if you don't already know this stuff...
Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks that helps some with that article. I'm still wondering do I move the faders at all? Like what if I do want something louder can I turn pre fader off and just move the volume slider around a bit if I want more reverb etc?

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
Why would Paul Draper in the "In The Box Series" add an effect or compression to boost the level then trim it back down to -10? Isn't that just getting rid of what he did with the effect? He also never moves the faders around either which is crucial to mixing. He never once explains using volume automation or anything.
I believe he does do volume automations, but I think it's more of a gain staging series more than anything, yes? Per channel, per mix and finally mastering.

I think the first in his chain is the Klanghelm VU - but even if using an effect, it's possible that the resulting signal is to end up at -10 for mixing. Gain staging doesn't null effect results.

I bought the Klanghelm VU as a result of this video series and incorporated his methods with mine. I always like to pull all faders to around -12 and start my mix from there. Multiple layers of compression via channel (if necessary), group busses, parallel mix compression (ala Schoeps) ... My resulting final mix is about -18 - plenty of headroom.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM

As a relatively recent sound grad and newbie on duc avid I would say thanks. Not only am I learning some *quality* advice from experienced audiophiles but that this specific thread has saved my skin this week.

Last edited by WillN; 03-19-2014 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Better yet, think of yellow as the new red. Record using pre-fader metering. Stay in the green. There's nothing to be gained in yellow/orange area, unless your AD converter has greater than 129dB dynamic range (24bit fixed has 144dB dynamics). Usually even the greatest ones are in the 120dB area so if you're above green you're just amplifying noise.

So... check your AD converter specs. If it says it has 120dB dynamics range, then anything hotter than -24dBFS is only amplifying noise. If you want to be sure to get all that 120dB dynamics in use, give yourself 6dB (equivalent to one bit) margin for error, and think of -18dBFS as maximum quality. Have you ever heard of gear being calibrated to -18dBFS = 0VU perhaps? This is why.
''Better yet, think of yellow as the new red'' That's It!!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0VVWHjV130
Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN View Post
As a relatively recent sound grad and newbie on duc avid I would say thanks. Not only am I learning some *quality* advice from experienced audiophiles but that this specific thread has saved my skin this week.
Good to hear we're helpful :) welcome to the forum...