Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM
soul's Avatar
soul soul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 218
Default PTHD 10 Crash via Live 9 Rewire

Every time I move a knob or slider on my MIDI controllers while running Ableton Live in Rewire mode, PTHD does a hard crash!!!

I have consistently tried every midi setting in Live and PTHD, same results. I have searched everywhere for similar probs, no results.

I have the latest versions of all software. I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 on an Intel Mac/HD Core and Process card.

I think it might be related to the drum rack here:

Ableton Live drum rack a la dubspot: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-dru...ideo-tutorial/

Does anyone else have Ableton LIve 9, and PTHD10 who could try to replicate the issue? Am I the only guy running LIve rewire? I could send you the project file if it helps..

The DUC has always been top-notch solution central. I posted this problem in the tips and tricks forum earlier this week, no replies. I could really use a hand here. The tech is killing my creative.

Last edited by soul; 07-06-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 12,061
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsystem View Post
Every time I move a knob or slider on my MIDI controllers while running Ableton Live in Rewire mode, PTHD does a hard crash!!!

I have consistently tried every midi setting in Live and PTHD, same results. I have searched everywhere for similar probs, no results.

I have the latest versions of all software. I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 on an Intel Mac/HD Core and Process card.

I think it might be related to the drum rack here:

Ableton Live drum rack a la dubspot: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-dru...ideo-tutorial/

Does anyone else have Ableton LIve 9, and PTHD10 who could try to replicate the issue? Am I the only guy running LIve rewire? I could send you the project file if it helps..

The DUC has always been top-notch solution central. I posted this problem in the tips and tricks forum earlier this week, no replies. I could really use a hand here. The tech is killing my creative.
Hey

We are using Ableton Live 9 in PT10HD with rewire and ICON D-Control ES 32 and it works great. What "midi controller" are you using and how is it setup, How are your settings in PT under "setup"?

If I am to recreate this I need more info

Best
Chris

PS. Your provided link is DOA
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
soul's Avatar
soul soul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 218
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

Chris,

Using an old M-Audio MidAir 37, the one with wireless MIDI. I also replicated the problem using Frontier Design Alpha track. If its the controller I'd be glad to buy a new one and be done with it. But same problem with both makes me think its software-related.

Ive tried all PT MIDI settings, disabled it in midi input filter - that should do the trick. Ive tried turning off all the midi features in PT. Then tried to switch off midi settings in LIve. Not much there. The only thing I could do was turn off the controller, which defeats the purpose.

I can send you project files for both if you want

Sorry about the bad link. Its here: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-drum-rack-youll-ever-to-make-dubspot-ableton-live-video-tutorial/


Its a nice little kick/hat/snare tool. I want to use it so I can get to writing hooks fast and not have to spend time with a beat that I can f*ck with later.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 12,061
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsystem View Post
Chris,

Using an old M-Audio MidAir 37, the one with wireless MIDI. I also replicated the problem using Frontier Design Alpha track. If its the controller I'd be glad to buy a new one and be done with it. But same problem with both makes me think its software-related.

Ive tried all PT MIDI settings, disabled it in midi input filter - that should do the trick. Ive tried turning off all the midi features in PT. Then tried to switch off midi settings in LIve. Not much there. The only thing I could do was turn off the controller, which defeats the purpose.

I can send you project files for both if you want

Sorry about the bad link. Its here: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-drum-rack-youll-ever-to-make-dubspot-ableton-live-video-tutorial/


Its a nice little kick/hat/snare tool. I want to use it so I can get to writing hooks fast and not have to spend time with a beat that I can f*ck with later.
I have a old alpha track here aswell as another midicontroller so I am going to try this out as soon as I can and post back. What happpens if you bypass Live 9 and just use the controller for PT and vice versa?
Chris
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM
soul's Avatar
soul soul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 218
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

No prob without running Live rewire. Good idea!

I just made it happen again in Live without using the dubstep drum rack, so I dont think that specific instrument config is the problem anymore.

Basically, make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.


EDIT>>>>> I just DLd the latest Pro Tools Pref and data base helper 2.5 and ran it. Same problem.
make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.

Last edited by soul; 07-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 12,061
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsystem View Post
No prob without running Live rewire. Good idea!

I just made it happen again in Live without using the dubstep drum rack, so I dont think that specific instrument config is the problem anymore.

Basically, make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.


EDIT>>>>> I just DLd the latest Pro Tools Pref and data base helper 2.5 and ran it. Same problem.
make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.
I am trying this out now and will do some different configs and post back.

Best
Chris
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 PM
soul's Avatar
soul soul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 218
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via Live 9 Rewire

Further diagnosis=Live 9 Rewire doesn't work with PT10 (and possibly other DAWs). I found info on the Ableton forum.

This thread probably belongs in a different topic

I still have Live 8 installed on my studio mac, so I tried the same procedure running LIve 8 Rewire. Voila! Apparently, the rewire engine in Live 9 is problematic.

Live 8 rewired works fine with PT. I can assign and use MIDI cc for knobs and sliders in Live while recording/playing vocals and guitars in PTHD. This immediately crashes PTHD using Live 9 rewired.

Chris, let me know what you find.

Anyone else: If you can show me otherwise, please do.

Last edited by soul; 07-06-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
soul's Avatar
soul soul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 218
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller (Live 9 Rewire)

Can someone quickly recreate this scenario?

Simple as opening Live 9 as a rewire slave with PTHD10. Assign a MIDI cc knob or slider to anything. Turn or slide it. See if PTHD crashes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
soul's Avatar
soul soul is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 218
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

For anyone interested (doesn't seem like many) I've been in touch with Ableton and confirmed that this is a bug in Live 9 rewire engine. They are working on it for the next update.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 12,061
Default Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsystem View Post
For anyone interested (doesn't seem like many) I've been in touch with Ableton and confirmed that this is a bug in Live 9 rewire engine. They are working on it for the next update.
Hi again

Been out of the studio and working in another country for Universal Music so I will try what you described and post back to see what the outcome is

Best Regards
Christopher
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PTHD 9 crash on quitting jrmintz Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 7 03-04-2012 09:57 PM
MIDI crash, PT now unable to communicate with controller jes macOS 0 04-26-2011 11:25 AM
PTHD 8 - looping crash jval Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 17 07-24-2009 10:24 AM
expression pedal as controller PTHD donmr123 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 6 06-29-2009 05:47 PM
Help needed with PTHD 7.4 crash rickgmac Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 9 02-22-2009 02:58 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com