Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Beat Detective - groove conform problem

Hi
I am trying to time some percussion to a live drum track (which has already been timed with BD), to do this I have analysed the drums (kick, snare & hat) and created a groove template. I have then tried to conform the percusssion tracks to this groove template but the audio is basically disappearing. I have used the same start & end points for the selection.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective - groove conform problem

Version of ProTools?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Hi
It's 7.4.2
Old 03-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Hard to say as there are a number of little things that can happen if a step or setting is missed. What are the exact steps you are taking (sequence and settings), and when are things going awry?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM

I made a selection from bar 65 - 90. I then used collection mode to analyse the kick/snare & hat tracks separately. I saved this as a groove template (to disc). I then analysed my percussion tracks (just using the perc hi-hat), separated the regions and tried to conform to the groove template. All in the same session so most of the beat detective settings are the same.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 AM

bump
Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 AM

I have got round the problem by using the drum groove to generate bar/beat markers, I then quantized the percussion tracks instead of using conform.

Perhaps groove conform is not designed to work in this type of situation?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Clark View Post
Hi
I am trying to time some percussion to a live drum track (which has already been timed with BD), to do this I have analysed the drums (kick, snare & hat) and created a groove template. I have then tried to conform the percusssion tracks to this groove template but the audio is basically disappearing. I have used the same start & end points for the selection.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
By this post it sound like you have a Drum track that has be BD'd to grid and now you want to do the same with the percussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Clark View Post
I made a selection from bar 65 - 90. I then used collection mode to analyse the kick/snare & hat tracks separately. I saved this as a groove template (to disc). I then analysed my percussion tracks (just using the perc hi-hat), separated the regions and tried to conform to the groove template. All in the same session so most of the beat detective settings are the same.
By your first post it sounded your drums were already to grid. It that is the case, then you need to do the same with the percusion tracks. By your post above it sounds like you forgot to click on the Capture button when you initially selected the region, before you analyzed. In the manual you will find
"You must define or capture the selection every time you make a new selection or change the tempo map. To define the selection range, do one of the following:"
In short, select the segment of region(s), you wish to BD, make sure the start and end points on on a Bar/Beat, then click the Capture button. . . etc. . .
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Hi Howard
Thanks for your reply. My original drum track is not absolutely to the grid, I was looking for a quick way to time some programmed percussion tracks to my original drums (if that makes sense).

I did capture the selection each time so it must be something else.