Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 05-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Default Mbox 3 with Mojave?

I've been cleaning out old 32 bit apps in preparation for a move to Mojave and the Mbox app / driver is one that remains. Just wondering, has it, or is it expected to be EOL'd?

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 05-02-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Moved from Pro Tools thread for visibility.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 with Mojave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Box View Post
I've been cleaning out old 32 bit apps in preparation for a move to Mojave and the Mbox app / driver is one that remains. Just wondering, has it, or is it expected to be EOL'd?
Which specific Mbox? Third generation should be supported still but all the rest, those have already reached EOL so I wouldn't expect supporting drivers. And the different generations did use different drivers.

EOL list:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates
After it passes the support date, I wouldn't expect it to get updated support software unless there's another product that uses the same driver/software that is still under support. In which case, it'll "unofficially" continue to work.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:16 PM

Hi BScout, it's third generation.

I should have looked more closely at the forums lists, there was a relevant post - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404148 - with a link in the firewire / usb section. It's EOL'd from August this year, which I assume is due to the next mac OS being 64 bit only, so no new drivers.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
It's EOL'd from August this year, which I assume is due to the next mac OS being 64 bit only, so no new drivers.
As mentioned in my caveat, if a product that will continue to be supported uses the same software, expect even an EOL product to continue working. The Mbox Pro 3 is supported to March 2020 and the driver family for all third generation Mbox were the same package. So I'd expect support.

Avid isn't being evil.. they just aren't supporting stuff that has been discontinued if they have have to pour more money into it. If the Mbox Pro 3 still has to be supported, then there's a good chance the Mbox 3 will get support as a by product.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanks for that, I wasn't trying to imply something nefarious about AVID's EOL listing. I do wonder now, with the listing date, if they'll be lending their moniker to, or endorsing, something similar in this space?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that, I wasn't trying to imply something nefarious about AVID's EOL listing. I do wonder now, with the listing date, if they'll be lending their moniker to, or endorsing, something similar in this space?
Avid have exited the low-end consumer interface market, and even at the high-end the new MTRX is rebadged. This is all good, Avid has struggled for years in this consumer hardware space.

There are no-end of excellent interfaces available. If you explain your needs clearly, what connections your computer has, and budget, etc. folks here will have suggestions. You may be better off starting a new thread titled “looking for interface advice” etc. in a different forum area.