Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2003, 09:59 AM

Default OT - Help with Samples

Although I use PT this is slightly off topic.

I'm not very technically musical (is there such a thing?) so am having diffficulty finding correct samples...

For example, instead of working out that a drum track i need is (e.g.) '4 on the floor with heavy hi-hat' (told you I'm not technically musical!), is there anywhere i can go to purchase/download samples that may be, for example, the complete drum track to 'Complicated' by Avril whatsername, that is also high quality and technically correct, rather than purchasing a professional midi track and connecting it to a keyboard?

This may make more sense if I explain that I am trying to become totally portable (powerbook, emi 6/2, etc) and do away with having to carry a keyboard around with me...

Cheers

Al
Old 01-04-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: OT - Help with Samples

Quote:
is there anywhere i can go to purchase/download samples that may be, for example, the complete drum track to 'Complicated' by Avril whatsername, that is also high quality and technically correct
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nothing quite that complex, but there are TONS of sample libraries out there of different styles of drum grooves - often they will also include fills as well as individual samples of the drums so you can construct different beats to go along with the samples. Check your local Guitar Center/Sam Ash etc. music store, they should have several demos to listen to from different manufacturers.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: OT - Help with Samples

You might want to check out Discrete Drums...they are real drum tracks prearranged in PT sessions, so you can cut them up and make your own beats and also have individual track control for mixing.

I haven't tried it myself (it's a litte expensive), but I've heard good things about it. There are also other, similar products out there.

I currently am using either my JV-1010, Reason 2.0, or Kontakt sampler for programming drum tracks using midi.

Good Luck!