Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Trim Optical Inputs on OMNI?

Nst7,

This is absolutely awesome information! You rock, what a great idea. I didn't even think about the coaxial inputs being a possibility. As far as the clocking goes, if I can't get the Mac to clock externally with just the one optical cable I will try John's suggestion of creating a loop.

Will the OMNI let us bypass all analog inputs in favor of ADAT in the I/O window? Sometimes I use other preamps with their own A/D which is why I am using ADAT in the first place.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Yes a HOSA ODL-276 or similar box should solve the optical to coaxial conversion. I have been using an ODL-312(converts optical to AES/EBU) for 5-6 years without issue.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Here's the link to the one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica...+coaxial+spdif

The Hosa one he mentioned is quite a bit more expensive. I don't know if that's because it has AES outs instead of RCA, or if it's better quality, or whatever. You can decide what works for you. Using AES will still free up the Adats.

And yes, you can use all the Adats if you want. You would configure this in the Hardware Setup, under the "Main" tab.

You can use any combination you'd like. You could have all 8 inputs be all 8 Adat channels, or 6 Adat channels and two analog, or 4 Adat, 2 Spidf, and 2 analog, or 4 Adat, 4 analog, whatever you want.

Whatever you set up, the audio coming from the Mac into your Spidf will be completely separate, assuming you're using the Mixer function.

Also, be aware that to access your Omni's hardware/setup menu to change something, you do not need to have Protools open or your Ilok connected. You can just launch the Core Audio application, and there is a button in the lower right, HW Setup, that will open the windows with all the tabs, and the mixer window, and everything else.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM

The Hosa one is bidirectional, which is part of why it's more expensive. However, they can be bought on ebay for a lot cheaper than their retail price. I just bought an ODL-276(coaxial to optical) for $16 shipped.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?