Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Digi 002-using FW & core-audio drivers to output audio to mac WITHOUT using ProTo

promixr-

Thanks for the offer to check on this, Email sent.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Digi 002-using FW & core-audio drivers to output audio to mac WITHOUT using ProTo

ProTools isn't necessarily the answer, but I think Audacity (which I'm familiar with) and Audition (which I'm not) might be the wrong tools. There's an ironic thing with software, and it's very prevalent in the audio world, especially in the DAW multitrack one. And that is that the cheapest tools are very often the most head-scratching to use. Even though beginner recordist wants a simple and concise program that takes them right to what they want to do, it's the more expensive programs that usually deliver this, and the free or close to free ones are often not able to let even an experienced engineer/musician work without getting in the way of the creativity. I'm not saying you need to spend $500, but you should look into the other options in the $60 - 200 range, since you already have an interface that will work with most OSX programs.

Reaper is very popular and is a free download and free to learn to use and only $60 if you decide to keep it. I sat with someone who had just gotten Logic Express ($199) and knew very little about recording and in an hour he was off and running. Cubase Elements is somewhat between them at $100. That said, it would probably be a good investment for you to hire someone come over for two or three hours and get you settled in to a recording workflow with your own gear and whatever program you choose. I'm sure if you explained to them what you wanted to be able to do they could show it to you on any of these and you'll be on your way.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM

jbasil

You make a great point about the ease of use sometimes being inversely proportional to the cost.

Since I am a rank amateur, I became fond of Audacity because I could navigate it to do the simple tasks I needed to. Also, like I stated in a previous post, I have sometimes become so enamored or involved in a new "thing" for music (drum machine, modeling amp, multi-track recorder) that I end up learning how to use it rather than actually playing music. (But that is a "me" problem that may not affect others in the same way). Audacity gave me the simple tool I needed, and did not get in the way.
My recordings are for fun, only heard by a few friends and family. Audacity fits the bill for that.

I want say Thanks for all the input here and the info I have found on the forum.
It made me realize that the device I am using (Digi 002) is not the right tool for the job (for me). For me. It might be perfect for some, but cumbersome for me.

I have decided to sell the 002 and buy the Alesis MultiMix8 USB 2.0 mixer. These sell for 250-300 new and allow the DAW to receive multiple (separate) tracks from the mixer. This would also allow me to adjust levels and monitor the recorded input easier.

Some may scratch their heads at this, but I think the (seeming) simplicity of the Alesis MultiMix offers me the hardware-based solution I am looking for.

Thanks again

Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM

>>>>Maybe I am dismissing PT as too difficult due to my not having used the application. You make a good point in that you keep returning to PT, after using other software. I take it from your comments that after I get over the initial hump of learning to use it; the reward for my efforts will be to leverage the full capability of the 002 and Pro Tools.<<<

to DaveZ: As is often the case, those most familiar with a software app (ProTools in this case) extol its virtues as easy to use, the best, etc, etc. I got on the Cool Edit Pro tracks years ago, due to it being so ubiquitously used by broadcasters and also by audio people who didn't want to use PT or Cubase (or others). I found CEP intuitive for a newbie and stayed with it, on into Syntrillium's (makers of CEP) acquisition by Adobe, wherein CEP became Audition. After a LONG time of thinking about joining the ProTools Borg, I took the plunge with a PTLE 7.4 system using one of the smaller interfaces. I immediately discovered that, contrary to a lot of PT user opinions, it was harder to use than Audition. Granted, I had learned a completely different system. But it's an elegant system that provides great-sounding results. It's just not mainstream and Adobe never really got behind it. I found that, in PT, it literally took more menu hops and mouse clicks to do things that I could do faster and with less steps in Audition. I'm sure the PT folks reading this think I'm nuts, but that was my take. After a week of pulling out my hair, I abandoned PT so I could get some work done again. In Audition.

Moral of the story here: Find what works best for YOU. There is another universe outside the ProTools dimension. Yes, it has deep commercial market penetration. And it's a great program, or it wouldn't be used so widely. But that doesn't make it the best for everyone.