Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 AM

Thumbs up Delay Compensation In Pro Tools LE

NO not another thread about ADC.

Asked by lots of Blog users to deal with this, in this video Russ deals with the question of delay compensation in Pro Tools.

He explains the science behind it, why we need it and how to delay-compensate both simple and complex work flows.

http://airusersblog.squarespace.com/...-tools-le.html

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation In Pro Tools LE

In this post, nod25 thinks Russ is preparing for (softening) the NAMM blow?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM

The solution that Russ shows for an external device like a Liquid Mix or a Powercore is a very neat solution.

Unfortunately this only works for those tracks that have an equal delay. In 'real life' though a mix will very often use a Powercore or Liquid Mix next to external hardware – like an external compressor on an insert – AND many different internal plugins that all induce different delays. In this situation the solution that Russ introduces won't work anymore.

Of course ATA from Melowmuse is the best solution that you can get at this stage but it still takes a constant monitoring of the delays and intervention by you. Automatic delay compensation (ADC) is still a very necessary solution that needs to come from Avid. There's many ways to fix delays induced by plugins but they all take a cumbersome amount of time and thus money which you don't have in most serious production sessions.

If PT would have ADC you'd win a lot of time that can be used on more creative elements of your production.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
In this post, nod25 thinks Russ is preparing for (softening) the NAMM blow?
Yes this absolutely sucks that someone on NDA is making new videos on Delay Comp.

That should be your cue. Getting gladder by the minute I'm comfy in Logic now...
Old 12-06-2009, 02:01 PM

F*ck me you're like children, I suppose you think the FBI has your phone tapped and that Aliens took your neighbours?

I got several emails from blog users who wanted an idiots guide to delay comp and why they needed it - nothing more than that.

As to the other points:
1. Yes some mixes will need more complex paths but to show that in a starter video would cloud the issue.
2. The users also wanted to know how to do it without any additional stuff such as Mellowmuse.

As to conspiracy theories - get a life!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
Getting gladder by the minute I'm comfy in Logic now...
Are you comfortable with the sound of the reverb in Logic as well?

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
The solution that Russ shows for an external device like a Liquid Mix or a Powercore is a very neat solution.

Unfortunately this only works for those tracks that have an equal delay. In 'real life' though a mix will very often use a Powercore or Liquid Mix next to external hardware – like an external compressor on an insert – AND many different internal plugins that all induce different delays. In this situation the solution that Russ introduces won't work anymore.

Of course ATA from Melowmuse is the best solution that you can get at this stage but it still takes a constant monitoring of the delays and intervention by you. Automatic delay compensation (ADC) is still a very necessary solution that needs to come from Avid. There's many ways to fix delays induced by plugins but they all take a cumbersome amount of time and thus money which you don't have in most serious production sessions.

If PT would have ADC you'd win a lot of time that can be used on more creative elements of your production.

I continue to endorse these videos by Peeder:

Peeder ACD method

I feel they are pretty comprehensive. If you prepare your session for this from the beginning then it is no big deal.. Especially if you know the delay introduced by particular plugins.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Are you comfortable with the sound of the reverb in Logic as well?
Space Designer is reasonably competitive with Altiverb and not much different sounding than TL Space to my ears. They all may even null on flat settings.

I currently use LiquidSonics Reverberate and Audio Damage Eos for plugin reverbs in Logic, and I would miss those a lot more than I currently miss the Massey plugins if/when I had to go back to Pro Tools. I also have a delay compensated PCM96 and a Kurzweil Rumour in Logic with no need to massage delay compensation manually (and I consider ATA to be a very crufty and brittle manual hackaround).
Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 AM

No one seems to understand that ADC is not in PT LE because Digi needs to differentiate between its platforms, otherwise known as crippling, it keeps LE in the home domain and HD in the pro domain and justifies the price differential. (apologies for my spelling). If LE was perfect, loads of us wouldn't bother with HD, (although the problems I'm having with it make it a bit less than pro).
Old 12-07-2009, 05:26 AM

Nice video RussUK

Keep up the good work.