Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 07:09 AM

Default RE: MBox 2 Woes ...

Man, I've finally given up on the Mbox 2. I've tried everything, including Digi Tech Support: Here's Digi's last response after 3 days:

Quote:
Please give a concise description of the problem:
From my last description, you gave this response:

Hi,

This may indicate a usb connection that is not providing sufficient power
to the Mbox 2. It is recommended that if you are experiencing this
behavior try any other available usb ports or a powered usb hub to
eliminate this problem. The mbox 2 is probably not broken, but rather not
getting enough power over the usb bus. Make certain that the laptop is
plugged in and not running off of a battery. If you continue to have
problems please respond with the model number of your PowerBook. The model
number listed on the packaging and the Machine Model version listed in
Apple System Profiler.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support

Actions required to reproduce the problem:
I tried all other USB ports, I made certain the PowerBook is plugged in and not running off battery.

Machine Model:

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

Model Number Number:

Z07E02CRC

Troubleshooting already attempted:
Did a complete clean install 2x & a complete clean uninstall 2x. The mbox would just sit there & flash LEDs with this error:

"Pro Tools cannot communicate with mbox 2. Please make sure mbox 2 is
connected & that the unit is not set to AC-3 mode."

In system preferences under "other", I click the mbox 2 icon. It is not
set to AC-3 mode. I could also watch the mbox 2 connect & disconnect in
the preference pane, while the LEDs flashed.

Each flash of the LEDs would show mbox 2 disconnected or mbox 2 connected.

Complete clean install. Complete clean uninstall. Mbox does not like the
Aluminum Powerbook 15" 1.25. I could get it to run on my Titaninum
Powerbook, G4 Cube 500 & an iBook 500.

It just will not run on my Aluminum. This is a PowerBook G4/1.25GHz
manufactured in Taiwan during the week of 10/1/03.

Repaired permission after install. Ran DiskWarrior 3.0. Ran TechTool Pro
4. Tried the mbox 2 in both USB ports. Unhooked all peripherals,
external hard drives, mouse, ect.
After finding this over in the Mac News Network (MacNN.com), I don't feel so bad ...

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/09/...design.mbox.2/

Quote:
WARNING!!! 169259 9/24/05, 6:00 am EDT
It’s unfortunate that digidesign have not done their homework on this new interface with its compatibility with the Mac powerbook 1.5Ghz + 1.67Gz! I have recently purchased the Mbox2. I am using a 15" powerbook 1.5 GHz, running an external hard drive (Lacie d2 extreme). It plays all my previous pro tools files (6.9) with no problem and I can also record through the DI. The problem that I am having is when I turn on the phantom power 48V for my Mic (that needs phantom power). I get this message... Pro Tools cannot communicate with the Mbox 2. Please make sure that Mbox 2 is connected and that the unit is not set to AC-3 mode. Checking the status for the Mbox 2 in System Preferences it says that I am Connected to Mbox 2. The clock is set to Internal and the AC-3 Digital Passthrough box is not ticked. So it's not in AC-3 mode. When I press the 48V button it states Lost connection to Mbox 2. The Mbox 2 shuts down for 3 seconds and starts again for only about 2 seconds so on off and on several times until it turns off completely. It can't draw enough power from my Powerbook to run the phantom power. I have removed all other USB plug ins and 800 FW for the external hard drive and I still have the same problem. I then tried a powered hub 2.0 USB, that worked with the phantom power on! That much was true... but running it with the LE program... unfortunately that wouldn't boot up at all! I have not heard back from the digidesign techs after 4 days? I had no issues with my previous Mbox.
Comment posted by: Jazz
I'm starting to feel I'm not the only one with the mbox 2 blues ...

Old 09-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Avid

Default Re: RE: MBox 2 Woes ...

We are seeing some possible problems with certain Powerbook models and are working with Apple on a solution. We will post more information as soon as it's available.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
We are seeing some possible problems with certain Powerbook models and are working with Apple on a solution. We will post more information as soon as it's available.

Thank you Digi, I'm hoping it's sooner like (real soon) ... man, I've got to tell you, that MOTU Traveler is really starting to look good ... real good ...

Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 PM

You can add me to the list of Powerbook users having problems with the Mbox 2. I have a G4 Powerbook, 15", 1.5GHz. The Mbox 2 does not work at all when plugged into the right hand side usb port on the Powerbook. It keeps turning itself on and off. It works on the left USB port, but ONLY if I don't turn on Phantom power. As soon as I turn on Phantom power, the Mbox poewrs down and loses connection with the computer.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:26 PM

After you turn on phantom power and your connection is lost, please try connecting (or just launching PT) again. Your connection should be solid for the remainder of your session.

Note that the purpose of this response is to help get you up and running, rather than provide a final solution.

Digi ETS
Old 09-28-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I have a G4 Powerbook, 15", 1.5GHz. The Mbox 2 does not work at all when plugged into the right hand side usb port on the Powerbook. It keeps turning itself on and off. It works on the left USB port, but ONLY if I don't turn on Phantom power. As soon as I turn on Phantom power, the Mbox poewrs down and loses connection with the computer.
Hmmm, it just keeps getting better ... I believe both your USB ports are 2.0 ... my Mbox 2 would turn itself off fm both ports.

I'm certain Digi will find a solution. I hope soon ... it sorta nice to see the Digi Engineering & Test Services working the problem.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:51 AM

As a workaround I have found a $19 powered USB hub appears to solve the issue. Not ideal but it gets me working.

PB 1.5GHz
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 AM

Hi vf124 ,
Please let us know what your Machine Model is. You'll an find this in Apple System Profiler in OSX 10.4. It should be a number listed like this: 5,6.

BTW, the workaround of a powered USB hub that ronthomson mentioned is valid. You should chose one that someone else has already verified. When I get into work I'll add the list of hubs that help as well.

Again, the purpose of these comments is to get you up and running, not provide a final solution.

Thanks for your (understandably waning) patience.
-rj
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 AM

We have tested the following USB hub with Mbox 2 so far, and it appears to be a workaround:

-Belkin 7 Port USB Hub F5U027

Digi ETS
Old 09-29-2005, 04:29 AM

Hardware Overview:
Quote:
Hi vf124 ,
Please let us know what your Machine Model is. You'll an find this in Apple System Profiler in OSX 10.4. It should be a number listed like this: 5,6.

Under System Profiler 10.3.9, this is my system:

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

From the orginal package/pack slips:

Model Number:

Z07E02CRC