Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Issue with Signal coming out of SPDIF & Monitor Outs at same time. 003/PT10 HELP???

I've been using an 003 Factory SPDIF OUT (Word Clock Synched) --- Apogee Rosetta 200 --- SM Audio Monitor Level Controller --- Nearfield Monitors to mix a project. This has been working great! (MAC OSX - PRO TOOLS 10)

Here's the issue:

I'm trying to get two different reference points of view on my mixes. One through the Apogee D/A converters, and the other through the 003 D/A converters to see how the room & equipment is translating the mixes.

So to do this, last night I simply plugged 2 analog 1/4" cables into the "Monitor Out" on the Digi 003 Factory and plugged those directly into my Nearfield Monitors. The monitor out on the 003 was muted, but immediately upon plugging in the cables the SPDIF output became extremely low and phased.
(AM SENDING MY BUSS MIX OUT OF PRO TOOLS TO BOTH SPDIF & ANALOG 1/2)

I muted the SPDIF Apogee output and unmuted the 003 monitor section.
The audio comes out sounding great to the monitors directly from the 003 Analog outs. I then again muted the analog monitor section on the 003 and then unmuted the SPDIF output through the apogee. Again the SPDIF signal is now at least 25dB+ lower in volume than it is without the 1/4 analog cables plugged into the monitor outs on the 003, and it's getting all kinds of phase issues.

**** If I simply unplug the analog 1/4" cables from the 003 monitor outs while the mix is playing, then everything sounds perfect again through the SPDIF/Apogee in real-time which makes me think it's an internal routing issue or something.

Isn't the 003 able to output to both it's internal monitor section & the SPDIF at the same time? (obviously with one or the other muted so they don't play out my monitors at the same time) Is there something I have to set differently in Pro Tools 10 or the Avid Driver to get this to work?

In simplest terms....How the heck can I have the exact same audio play out of 003 SPDIF & 003 Monitor Analog Out at the same time. That way I can press mute on apogee monitor controller to hear the signal direct from the 003, or press mute on the 003 monitor section to hear the SPDIF Apogee converted signal.

Why would the SPDIF signal be degraded and un-useable simply by plugging 1/4" cables into a muted 003 monitor output? Does plugging cables in make the 003 monitor out take precedence over the spdif output?

Hope that makes sense, and isn't too confusing. I tried to explain as much detail as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help in solving this perplexing issue.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Issue with Signal coming out of SPDIF & Monitor Outs at same time. 003/PT10 HELP?

What speakers are you using and what connections?

Make sure the 1/4" cables have a balanced jack plug on them. They should have two rings on the metal shaft. It could be an earthing problem.