Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-02-2019, 05:45 AM

Default HD I/O with MTRX

Hi!
I have MTRX interface and I want to use my HD 16x16 as analog output for headphone monitoring via DADman. I have daisy chained HD to MTRX and Loop Synced it. If PHD mode in DADman is set to Pri/Exp then HD is following MTRX sample rate and I can route outputs from Pro Tools. but fortunately - they are not available in DADman for Talkback. If I set PHD mode to 2xPri, then I can see HD outputs in DADman, I can assign Talkback in DADman to those outputs but now I can't force HD to follow MTRX sample rate. I have tried different configurations, but can't get it work.
Now I have to choose - forget Talkback function via Eucontrol and to use Pro Tools routing only or to have one static sample rate to HD I/O (other MTRX sample rates just mutes HD).
Any ideas how to get this to work?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Default Re: HD I/O with MTRX

I may not be able to follow along but you can't use an HD i/o as an extension of the MTRX for talkback. The monitoring functions of the MTRX (DADman/ProMon) exist only in the MTRX. The HD i/o is not active when Pro Tools is off. If the HD i/o is routed within Pro Tools from an input coming from the MTRX to the HD i/o (MTRX PT output > HD i/o output), you could use it. But you have to have an actual channel setup in the Pro Tools session. This is because the HD i/o does not operate stand alone and can't be communicated to directly without Pro Tools in-between.

However, for clocking, don't use "loop sync". Set the MTRX to Pri/Pri. On the MTRX, set sample rate to "internal" and set Adapt to "ProTools1." Then run a word clock cable from the wordclock output of the MTRX to the word clock input of the HD i/o. Then in your session setup of Pro Tools, flip the sync on the HD i/o to word clock. Then set your MTRX to internal from session setup.

Then your system will change word clock with whatever session you open (both the MTRX and HD i/o.)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 AM

Thanks BScout!
I will try tomorrow once more time. I tried with WC as you described, but maybe I have missed something.
Will keep updated.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis View Post
Thanks BScout!
I will try tomorrow once more time. I tried with WC as you described, but maybe I have missed something.
Will keep updated.

Just to complicate things, you can kind of run the MTRX in a loop sync (that's how I run mine). Notes here – http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2473579&postcount=2
Old 07-03-2019, 04:59 AM

Hi Luke and BScout! I am running my HD in loop sync with MTRX and it follows all the sample rates, as Luke describes. But to access HD I/Os from DADman I have to set MTRX digilink ports as 2xPri. I run BNC from MTRX to HD WC input, and tried to access HD from ProTools but without success. I can see two devices only when Port1 emulation is set to HDIO, and even then only valid sync source is internal and I can't set separate WC sources. It feels that PT sees booth devices as one.
Maybe I am required to have Sync HD to get it work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 14.48.03.jpg (35.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis View Post
Hi Luke and BScout! I am running my HD in loop sync with MTRX and it follows all the sample rates, as Luke describes. But to access HD I/Os from DADman I have to set MTRX digilink ports as 2xPri. I run BNC from MTRX to HD WC input, and tried to access HD from ProTools but without success. I can see two devices only when Port1 emulation is set to HDIO, and even then only valid sync source is internal and I can't set separate WC sources. It feels that PT sees booth devices as one.
Maybe I am required to have Sync HD to get it work?
I'm a bit confused here. Perhaps I can explain how mine is setup and you can work back from there, as I have the same configuration (well, I also have a Sync HD but I'll keep it out of the picture).

It's helpful to think about the DigiLink and word clock interfacing separately, obviously both have to be setup correctly for things to work.

I have the MTRX hanging off the first DigiLink port of the HDX card, and my HD I/O card off the second. (Having the HD I/O hanging off the Secondary port of the MTRX would reduce the MTRX PT I/O to 16 channels.) As I'm using a recent version of Pro Tools, the MTRX is configured to identify as a MTRX rather than a HD I/O.

I have word clock setup with loop sync as described here, but you can also set things up as in the manual, using Word Clock, just make things are terminated correctly (can't remember if the HD I/O's WC input is internally terminated, the manual is silent).

Important to note: the Avid HD I/O will *not* show up in DADman. It's not going to happen, the DigiLink port on the MTRX can not be a host port, only a device. The only way to route audio from the HD I/O to the MTRX is through the Pro Tools mixer on the HDX card (i.e. by creating a Pro Tools session with the appropriate routing). I'd like to be able to do this too, e.g. to use the ASRC on the HD I/O to feed a CD player into DADman, but it's architecturally impossible.

HTH!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:31 AM

Ok, I understood now. My HD/IO all the time have been connected via MTRX digilink expansion port and that was the reason for the struggle.
I will try this set up : connect HD digilink to HDX card and feed monitors from MTRX to HD AES input. Maybe that will work out. Will keep updated.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM

What Luke said (though loop sync is pretty pointless with the MTRX -- I run a total of 5 MTRX now on 3 systems with the Sync HD on each of them and there's no need for loop sync -- just WC out of MTRX to SyncHD WC in and WC out of the main MTRX to all other MTRX WC in; WC distributors are in use)

But, Artis, bigger question, how many HDX cards do you have? To get the full channel count out of a MTRX plus the HD i/O you need 2 HDX cards. Both ports for the HDX1 card go to the two ports of the MTRX (set pri/pri) and then your HD i/o is connected to HDX2 card on port 1. You then get 64+16 (80 total) channels in Pro Tools to access.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
But, Artis, bigger question, how many HDX cards do you have? To get the full channel count out of a MTRX plus the HD i/O you need 2 HDX cards. Both ports for the HDX1 card go to the two ports of the MTRX (set pri/pri) and then your HD i/o is connected to HDX2 card on port 1. You then get 64+16 (80 total) channels in Pro Tools to access.
Right, also I'm wondering what's the real question here –*does Atris want to use monitor control in the MTRX but has monitors connected to the HD I/O? Best to attach monitors to an output card in the MTRX, or if you don't have a DA card, an external DA connected to the AES I/O of the MTRX. Routing the DADman monitor section back through Pro Tools will be a complete pain in the proverbial.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Ah, I reread the original post. For headphone monitoring, if you have the Dante option, you could try something like the KLANG Quelle. Otherwise, hmm, you’ll be a lot less frustrated getting an additional output card for the MTRX or investigating a different monitoring option. How many separate headphone mixes do you need?