Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Default Need help with connecting Lexicon PCM 80 to HD Omni

Hi, I'm looking to connect my PCM 80 to the Omni to use as an external EFX processor. I've connected the Omni and PCM 80 by S/PDIF but am not clear on setting up the clocking. I think I need to set the PCM 80 to external clock and keep the Omni as the master clock - would that be correct? Also, I'm not sure what I need to do in setting up the I/O in the Omni's settings. Can anyone please advise or point me in the direction where I can find out more info on how to do this? I gave the PDF manual a quick look but maybe I'm missing where to find this info.

THanks for your help,

JoeM
Old 04-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Need help with connecting Lexicon PCM 80 to HD Omni

Definitely set the Omni as the master clock if you can. Which means you just leave it on "internal" which is what it should normally be set at anyway. You'll just have to figure out how to set the Lexicon to be clocked externally.

In the Omni's main tab, make sure that digital is set to spidf rather than AES, and that adat is set to optical (so that makes sure spidf is not set to optical).

Once you do that, you should be okay. You may know this already, but you can just use the Lexicon as an insert, either on an audio track, or on an aux track (where you use an aux send from your audio track to that aux track).

It works just like a plugin. When you click on an insert, instead of inserting a plugin, you choose "output", and select spidf, and the Lexicon functions as a plugin.

Note that this will not work if you've selected Low Latency monitoring. But it should work fine if you're recording in the typical fashion with a low buffer setting.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Great! Thanks so much for your help and great explaination. I didn't know how to use the S/PDIF output when setting up an insert so this is a big help for me. Thanks again!

JoeM
Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You may know this already, but you can just use the Lexicon as an insert, either on an audio track, or on an aux track (where you use an aux send from your audio track to that aux track).

It works just like a plugin. When you click on an insert, instead of inserting a plugin, you choose "output", and select spidf, and the Lexicon functions as a plugin.

Note that this will not work if you've selected Low Latency monitoring. But it should work fine if you're recording in the typical fashion with a low buffer setting.
I've set up everything as you pointed out and have the PCM 80 set to external clock and it's seeing the correct sample rate but when I open the project I'm working on I'm getting a Session Note window saying " The following plug-ins were made inactive because of insufficent system resources: Hardware insert (2). Looks like PT crashed as I tried to save the note details.

I'm going to try to reboot the Mac and everything . Can you advise about this note? thanks

JoeM
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM

The note said: Track "Audio 1" Insert D ("Hardware insert") has been made Inactive because the associated DigiLink assignment is currently not available.
Track "PCM 80" Insert A ("Hardware insert") has been made Inactive because the associated DigiLink assignment is currently not available.

I went into Hardware setup and for input 5-6 I selected S/PDIF 1-2 and that took care of the "Track "PCM 80" Insert A ("Hardware insert")" message but I'm still getting the Track "Audio 1" Insert D ("Hardware insert") message - not sure what that is. I also set Output 5-6 to Optical (S/PDIF but I'm not sure if that's correct.

In any event I still do not see the S/PDIF I/O available as an insert or an input to an aux track. I'm only seeing the analog choices. Looks like I need to study the IO Setup Primer PDF to get a better handle on using the Omni.

JoeM