Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Cubase 7 is out with a BANG ! Avid We Need PT 11 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Just because some composers like Hans use Cubase, and a college professor says "everybody" uses cubase/nuendo does not mean that "most composers use cubase." The college professor is saying that because if he didn't, no one would want to pay for the class.

As others have already said, if you prefer Cubase, use it, if not.. don't. I personally can't stand Cubase, but I will admit I've been using Logic and Pro Tools for 10 years so I'm somewhat set in my ways.
I was talking about gaming composers when I quoted "most composers". If you did actually read those links and the short bios, you would see some popular game music that was composed on Cubase.
As I said, I liked Logic and used it since 1.7 for the Atari (94?). I was curious about why people were using Cubase and Nuendo more than Logic before Apple bought Logic. I finally learned how to get around Nuendo which I thought was really clumsy at first.
My point is that I hate seeing any software get dissed. I did quite a few records for artists on all these DAWs. Everyone knows that for years, Nuendo was a superior sounding software, period. I just think it's wise to be aware of any upgrades to the major DAWs. Of course customers should be pissed off when upgrades are hastily released. Something that seems to happen a lot here. A little more patience and beta testing would be a good idea. I say don't release PT 11 until it works! PT 10 is awesome and works pretty well in a 64 bit OS, right?
I was quoted out of context a little except for my assumption that Nuendo is widely used in Europe. No one proved me wrong. It is a German company. It's not a stretch to assume that Cubendo is used a lot in Germany just by looking at the short list of hitmakers on their site as well as the game composers.
There are a lot of engineers busting their asses making great software. It's all good and a lot of people care!
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Cool Re: Cubase 7 is out with a BANG ! Avid We Need PT 11 !!

It is remarkable, some of the posts in this thread. As a PTHD user, former Nuendo user and current Cubase user, I will say cubase has been more feature rich then PT for the majority of time I have been digital. I used Logic for a number of years too back in the PC days and that was frustrating.

If you are going to say one program sounds better than the other I will say prove it. Give me a minute to go grab field's worth of corn and I will start making popcorn, because ya ain't going to prove anything.

All-hail-the-all-mighty-ego!

Cubase 6 & Pro Tools 10 HD
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600 - GIGABYTE GeForce 8400 GS - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM

i'm still not interested.. but thanks for asking...

Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest Studio View Post
It is remarkable, some of the posts in this thread. As a PTHD user, former Nuendo user and current Cubase user, I will say cubase has been more feature rich then PT for the majority of time I have been digital. I used Logic for a number of years too back in the PC days and that was frustrating.

If you are going to say one program sounds better than the other I will say prove it. Give me a minute to go grab field's worth of corn and I will start making popcorn, because ya ain't going to prove anything.

All-hail-the-all-mighty-ego!
Sounds better. Whatever.! That debate is one that will never end regardless if it is "proved" or not.

Back to subject.

I know you were a long time Nuendo user who recently switched. I was too. But I'll take feature rich functioning over feature rich.

Or less features but what features there are, actually work.

Maybe in Music Cubase cuts the mustard, and I'm sure it does by a mile.

Steinberg's track record hasn't exactly been stellar. AAF still doesn't work in the current version, no word is it does in the 6.
Yet the OMF/AAF debate has been a problem for almost 10 years now. Last I was told, buy a 3rd party app for true function. Even now there are still problems.

Yet, PT works. As did most the other apps I tested.

IF you use it and don't have problems, great.

SB advertises well but delivers poorly. From what I understand, there is little to no nuendo market left in the US anymore.

Use what works for you. ProTools, Fruity Loops, Logic, whatever.
If they deliver what you want, 64bit, then why even complain?

My experience with SB has been painful and costly. The smartest thing I did was goto Protools and never looked back.
Even despite the shortcomings PT has over some of the Cubendo features, at least I know what works and don't have 100 pages of workarounds to get my job done.

Peace
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 PM

The Chicken or The EGG ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybalm View Post
Everyone knows that for years, Nuendo was a superior sounding software, period.
It's these kind of statements that are making you look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Show us a null test that proves that any DAW "sounds better" than another. It's been debunked to death on various websites.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM

The amount of power that the likes of ProTools, Cubase and Logic offer nowadays negates any argument as to what is better.

They are all 'better' - it just depends who is at the helm.

I'm fairly certain Johnny Marr could make my modest guitar sound fairly sweet.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
The Chicken or The EGG ?
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry, just make the music.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM

I totally agree with this... Hell, I'm using both so they both are extremely powerful DAW's to me, just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
Again, I think we all know this is a PT forum. No one is saying that PT10 isnt popular or a great DAW. It is extremely versatile and powerful. What I (and I think a few others) are trying to say is that it isnt the end all be all. Pro Tools is an extremely popular software. It isnt leaving other DAWs in the dust like it used to though. With a powerful PC (or MAC), a quality interface and a good DAW, you can make a hit record in your bedroom. Its being done every day.

One of the things that makes most of the "industry standard" studios so great is the acoustics. Those rooms are so treated and tuned it isnt funny. However, i was in one studio where a ton of platinum records were recorded. It was so quiet it was uncomfortable. The sound was outstanding. But I couldnt see myself doing an album there. Just my opinion. The outboard gear in these studios are unmatched as well. There are no cheap cables attaching everything as well.

Above all, I think what makes most studios with PT great is the people. Remember when I said they can be very loyal to snobish which is a good thing? its because they LOVE PT and feel nothing else matters. I only take issue when they say nothing else comes even close. Thats an opnion. Anyway, these guys study PT and just have a love affair with it. They know it in and out. That is what you want in a session from an engineer. I want him to be passionate about what he does and what he uses.
But with all the passion (or even obsession, lol), at the end of the day, its about making music.

I am saying all this because there is some kid reading all this who is broke or has limited funds. heck it may be some guy with a wife a 3 kids who just lost his job. They both love music and could very well have a gift for it. They dream of the day they can record in a state of the art studio. Right now they only have enough to buy a used PC (or mac), a cheap interface and probably have to borrow a mic. Do are we to tell them there music will never really matter unless they have PT? That their sound will never be worth anything withour PT? heck even in that argument some will say "well yeah you have PT but it isnt HD!" then of course someone will one up you with "well I have HDX!" Im speaking to those guys. Just make music. People want good music and most have no idea what you use. take what you read here and learn, but not into your heart. PT is awesome, but it isnt required is all Im saying.

I'll sum it up like this. I am a big shooter. I love all handguns. I have some top of the line firearms, but then I have some that are considered budget. One gun I absolutely is a Taurus 1911 that cost me $500 but its considered a piece of junk to many. Custom 1911 go for $1500 and up. Well when I see those guys at the range, they always comment on my shooting (Ive been throught the FBI shooting course, military, etc) and can shoot the lights out. The commend me until they see what I am shooting. Then they start bashing. I go, if this gun was crap, then why can I outshoot you? They usually say something to the effect of if I had a custom gun, I would be deadly which I then reply "I already am". I make the gun, the gun doesnt make me. Same with music. Blessings!

I-Mac-I7, Mac-Book Pro, Protools 10, Cubase 6.5, Korg Kronos, Motif Rack XS, UAD Apollo, Steinberg UR824, Focusrite OctoPre MkII, GreTsch Maple Kit, Rode Mics, MXL Mics, Shure Drum Mics, Lewitt Kick Mic, Avid Euphonix Mix & Artist, Waves Plug-Ins
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Sounds better. Whatever.! That debate is one that will never end regardless if it is "proved" or not.

Back to subject.

I know you were a long time Nuendo user who recently switched. I was too. But I'll take feature rich functioning over feature rich.

Or less features but what features there are, actually work.

Maybe in Music Cubase cuts the mustard, and I'm sure it does by a mile.

Steinberg's track record hasn't exactly been stellar. AAF still doesn't work in the current version, no word is it does in the 6.
Yet the OMF/AAF debate has been a problem for almost 10 years now. Last I was told, buy a 3rd party app for true function. Even now there are still problems.

Yet, PT works. As did most the other apps I tested.

IF you use it and don't have problems, great.

SB advertises well but delivers poorly. From what I understand, there is little to no nuendo market left in the US anymore.

Use what works for you. ProTools, Fruity Loops, Logic, whatever.
If they deliver what you want, 64bit, then why even complain?

My experience with SB has been painful and costly. The smartest thing I did was goto Protools and never looked back.
Even despite the shortcomings PT has over some of the Cubendo features, at least I know what works and don't have 100 pages of workarounds to get my job done.

Peace

Hey Lex,

Good to see you here. Both programs can give me pains in different ways. I am happy that they are different because where one pains me the other doesn't. I do admire PTs simplicity and Cubase's complex adaptability. When I say this it isn't meant as disrespect to either app. I am grateful to have both and to be done with Nuendo even though I miss some Nuendo specific features.

The whole point of me posting that original post is that it really bothers the heck when people make comments about something that they probably haven't used or even explored. Some solely being chest puffing. Lets keep things real. I don't think PT has anything to worry about nor does Cubase and I am sure both will be around for a long long time. At least I hope so.

respect,

Cubase 6 & Pro Tools 10 HD
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600 - GIGABYTE GeForce 8400 GS - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700