Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Default Session Crashes after 5 sec playback (PT 10 & 11)

Hey guys I'm desperate for some help. I have a drum session that is screwed up for some reason and will not play back.

I'm running a 2011 Macbook Pro on Mavericks with an SSD, 16GB of RAM and a FireWire 800 drive holding my media.

My session consists of 15-20 tracks, 10 of which are elastic audio drums. The others are various busses for Parallel compression, mix bus, snare bus w/e

These 10 tracks are on polyphonic elastic audio. I have various compressors, EQ's and a couple instances of the Trigger 2 plug in as well. I rarely have issues and can play back audio fine without drop outs unless I'm running other stuff in the background.

My interface is a MOTU 828 Mk3 running USB 2 to the Laptop.
My session is at 1024 Buffer Size, 90% CPU, Delay Comp MAXIMUM, and Level 2 for the Plug-In buffer.

When I press play it goes for a few seconds then either stops or pauses on a sound and repeats the sound forever with a long "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...." sound like the computer was dropped on the side walk or something.

And whenever I have this issue I try to close it and it freezes while quitting so I have to force quit. In Pro Tools 11 it just quits automatically and tells me it did so but doesnt get hung up quitting.

I have no idea what to do cause I've tried deleting preferences already, I've restarted the computer, I've disabled elastic audio, I've disabled all the plug ins, I've changed the buffer size. I'm out of ideas and getting really sick of Pro Tools screwing up everything when I've bought this copy and should be having no issues!!!!!

I just want to finish this album so my band can have music out there for the world to hear I'm desparate can please anyone help me not run into this problem again! Thank you.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Session Crashes after 5 sec playback (PT 10 & 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharchik View Post
I have no idea what to do cause I've tried deleting preferences already, I've restarted the computer, I've disabled elastic audio, I've disabled all the plug ins, I've changed the buffer size. I'm out of ideas and getting really sick of Pro Tools screwing up everything when I've bought this copy and should be having no issues!!!!!
Hi,

So you've tried with all plugins disabled and elastic audio disabled? Trashed prefs as well. So it's not the CPU maxing out!

What third party plugins are installed? Are they definitely up to date and compatible with your system? This is one of the most common causes and the plugins don't have to be in the session to cause problems as all plugins are loaded into the cache when PT boots up.

Maybe try copying the session to the internal drive and remove the FireWire drive and check!

Has this system run ok previously? And this issue just recently started?

Have you tried a fresh install of pro tools?

How about starting a new session and using import session data to import all the tracks into a new session incase the old session got corrupted.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharchik View Post
Hey guys I'm desperate for some help. I have a drum session that is screwed up for some reason and will not play back.

I'm running a 2011 Macbook Pro on Mavericks with an SSD, 16GB of RAM and a FireWire 800 drive holding my media.

My session consists of 15-20 tracks, 10 of which are elastic audio drums. The others are various busses for Parallel compression, mix bus, snare bus w/e

These 10 tracks are on polyphonic elastic audio. I have various compressors, EQ's and a couple instances of the Trigger 2 plug in as well. I rarely have issues and can play back audio fine without drop outs unless I'm running other stuff in the background.

My interface is a MOTU 828 Mk3 running USB 2 to the Laptop.
My session is at 1024 Buffer Size, 90% CPU, Delay Comp MAXIMUM, and Level 2 for the Plug-In buffer.

When I press play it goes for a few seconds then either stops or pauses on a sound and repeats the sound forever with a long "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...." sound like the computer was dropped on the side walk or something.

And whenever I have this issue I try to close it and it freezes while quitting so I have to force quit. In Pro Tools 11 it just quits automatically and tells me it did so but doesnt get hung up quitting.

I just want to finish this album so my band can have music out there for the world to hear I'm desparate can please anyone help me not run into this problem again! Thank you.
... unless I'm running other stuff in the background.

You should not have anything else, including web browsers, running when Pro Tools is running...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks for giving me some things to try.

I'll try full on turning off the internet next time cause everything was closed yes but you can't be too careful.

I'll let you know how the Firewire drive fairs and if I get better results.

Importing it into another session still had the same issue, but I consolidated each track and imported it into a new session and started from scratch with a few plug ins (Trigger, Air EQ, SSL Channel) and it seems to work fine now that I'm only dealing with 8 audio files.

Because it's accessing so much at once I wonder if it could be the drive that will be my next test.

Thanks guys
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Make sure that firewire is not enabled as a network port in the network panel.
Have you tried Rhythmic or Monophonic on the drums just for testing? There are many cases when you want polyphonic on the drums but just for testing save as monophonic. I can't remember off hand, if elastic overwrites the original file but if not, you could turn off elastic and it will ask you to commit to the elastic edits. Then you can edit the original session. Control Command a few plugs that look ahead like mastering suites like Ozone. Any Autotune plugs should be shut off for testing or rendered. In PT11, that's too easy.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 AM

Hmmm...

We had something similar to this a few months ago.
On a different computer...
But it turned out to be the external drive case.
The drive was fine.
I would do what the above poster suggested and copy the session to the system drive or somewhere else and give it a try.