Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM

Default Running outboard gear into 002 control surface

You are going to get no useful help here unless you take your time to explain exactly what you are doing, exactly what is connected to what and how and what troubleshooting you have done.

And useful details of what you are recording, etc.

Simplest troubleshooting is does the mic work OK using the 002 built in preamp?

Don't just say "low". What dBFS level are you seeing in Pro Tools (in pre-fader meter mode), recording what type of audio (rock vocals? quiet speech, acoustic guitar?). With what exact model mic, with what preamp settings?

If you need to take a photograph of the exact connections and preamp etc knob settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Running outboard gear into 002 control surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate9 View Post
I want use my 002, I went out the main's on 002, went thru outboard into 5 and 6 on back of the 002, went in with the mic on mic/line 1 of 002, I am going to test it right now!

This makes no sense. Why is the mic connected to mic/line 1 on the 002 if you are trying to use the external preamp? The mic connects to that preamp and the output of that preamp should connect a line level i put on the 002.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 AM

This might be a good case to pay a pro to come and spend a few hours helping you get your gear properly connected. Plug your mic into the ISA preamp and turn the +48 on for that ISA channel). Cable from the ISA output to the 002 LINE input(use 5 thru 8 and set the switch on the rear of the 002 to the +4 position). If the Focusrite has a digital output, there are other options, but for the moment, keep things simple

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Running outboard gear into 002 control surface

Ok, I'm plugging the mic into the 002's mic/line input 1 then going out main's 1 and 2 on the 002 to input's left and right on a Alesis m eq 230 to inputs ch 1 ch 2 on a berhinger pro-Xl composer mdx 2600 compressor to input's left and right on a lexicon mpx 110 then I'm going out to trs 1 input's left and right on a personus central station

Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 PM

This may sound harsh but it'sobvious that you're lacking in understanding of some very fundamental principals in general audio processing, and I don't expect that you get very far by asking here. I don't think anyone here has the time to explain all the basics to you.

So I think albee's advise was very good, get someone with a bit of knowledge to look at your stuff and give you some guidence.

If that's not possible, then I would say; put away that EQ and compressor, and use plugins in protools instead. They are both very cheap machines, anyway.

Should you insist on using them, then they must be used as a insert on the 002 channel that your mic is connected to, via a trs Y-cable in the insert connection on the back. Check the manual or google it.

The routing you try to describe in your last post is also rubbish.

I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 PM

I just wanted to know 48v phantom power must be a first stage thing!

Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 PM

48v phantom power
Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Yes, the mic preamp with phantom power needs to be the first thing the microphone connects to. Consider a few things here:
1-you COULD feed the mic into the 002 preamp and onto an AUX track, set the AUX track to feed an extra output. Use 3 thru 8 for this(NOT 1 and/or 2 as those are your main outputs). Feed that output connection to your EQ>compressor chain and return to a LINE input of the 002 and record that to an audio track. But, just because you CAN do this, does not mean you SHOULD do this(see #2)

2-all this routing will add latency because; each conversion(analog>digital and digital>analog) takes a small amount of time(this is "converter latency"). Then you also have latency caused by the buffer setting(lower buffer=less latency, but doing it twice may equal enough to bother you)

3-you can create a hardware insert path busing a matching pair of IO(this is setup in the IO menu>Insert tab). Example; output 5 with input 5 and route those connections to your hardware chain and back, and insert onto your track.

4-the sound quality of your hardware can be matched or beat easily with stock plugins(and this will eliminate all the hassle, the latency and the patching). As for the Lexicon, personally, I would sell it and buy the Lexicon plugin, but if it has SPDIF connections, you could create a path to send TO the lex(over SPDIF) and return it to a stereo AUX track for return(any minor latency with wet/dry set to 100% wet would probably not be noticed).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 PM

I'm using low latency monitoring which can only be used with output's 1 and 2. I also have an apogee Rosetta 8 ch, I'm going to go out of the lex to the Rosetta out the Rosetta to aux in on the central station

Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 PM

So where did the Focusrite ISA Pre go in this chain?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————