Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-11-2003, 11:15 AM

Default what usb interface?

hi!
i have a question. I would like to use a usb interface with a ibook for mobile recording.
I just need one stereo in and a stereo out/headphone out and thats the reason i want a usb and not a firewire interface because the firewire interfaces all got more i/o´s..
i don´t REALLY need mic pres in my usb interface because i got a mm-1 from sound devices, but it would be nice.. (i don´t know how good the converters of the mm-1 are compared to others..)
now the apogee mini me is a little bit too expensive...
I´m not using pro tools, but i´m thinking of buying a mbox or a usbpre from sound devices. these too seems to be the best usb interfaces (after the mini me...). What would you do? buy a mbox because of his sound quality (converters/mic pres) or are the other more low budget usb interfaces good as well, and the mbox is just good if you wont to record in pro tools? is anybody knowing if the mm-1 pres are better than the mic pres from the mbox?
how compars the usb pre to the mbox? (especially the converters?)
thanks for all answers!
cheers
evs
Old 05-11-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Re: what usb interface?

Sorry, you didn't actually say you wanted to use Protools did you.

Mbox sounds just fine. I've been doing remixes for ((major)) labels on it and they're not complaining.

With Protools, I should add.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:17 AM

hi!
yes, i don´t really want to use pro tools... now my question is if the mbox cost more than others because of pro tools le.. or if it is just better than others..?

cheers
evs
Old 05-12-2003, 12:45 AM

If you want to use Protools with a USB audio interface your only option is an Mbox.

Protools LE will not work with hardware other than Digidesign's.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:06 AM

Protools software was not developed specifically for Mbox so I doubt if much of the R&D costs were passed on to the price it. For £350 you get quite a lot for your money. The Focusrite Mic amps are apparently the design used in their green range which alone were selling for about £700 a few years back. Also there are only a handfull of devices that will run on USB bus power and provide phantom power, Mbox being one of them.

I've not used many of the other USB interfaces out there, So get some other ( more impartial !! ) advice too before you part with you hard earned cash.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:25 AM

Protools software was not developed specifically for Mbox so I doubt if much of the R&D costs were passed on to the price it. For £350 you get quite a lot for your money. The Focusrite Mic amps are apparently the design used in their green range which alone were selling for about £700 a few years back. Also there are only a handfull of devices that will run on USB bus power and provide phantom power, Mbox being one of them.

I've not used many of the other USB interfaces out there, So get some other ( more impartial !! ) advice too before you part with you hard earned cash.