Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Can't record midi notes in pro tools 8 with Novation SL compact

Everything works a treat on the Novation, Automap, the transport buttons, the drum pads, mod wheels...except NO MIDI KEYS!!! Weird indeed, I can even see aftertouch data being recorded but no midi key board data. I have all the Novation updates and am experiencing the same problem with the same system under Windows XP too, I am using Intel Mac 10.5 as my main OS. All works fine in Cubase 4 on Mac and Windows XP including the recording of midi notes. So why no keys in Pro Tools? I have contacted Novation support but am yet to be astounded by their speedy service or knowledgeable replies.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Can't record midi notes in pro tools 8 with Novation SL compact

did you check:

- MIDI device in AudioMIDI is set up and installed correctly,
- Enabled the Novation as MIDI input, etc? PT > setup > MIDI > (Studio/ Clock / Input/ Device)
- Disabled / enabled any MIDI Filters in ProTools (accidentally set to not record notes) or the Novation (the Novation is pretty complex).
- followed the DAW setup guide (just to make sure)

I 'only' have the SL ZERO but controls and Drum Pads are working nice.
so I cannot comment on the keys.
best
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM

all is correct as you pointed out. However in the Audio midi setup (AMS) I have my digi 003, the Novation SL compact and a third device (Pro remote) which is an iphone controller ap for pro tools. None of these devices will let me drag their cables to connect to one another. Do I have to set up AMS to use the novation, it is not mentioned in any of the Novation setup guides.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaken View Post
all is correct as you pointed out. However in the Audio midi setup (AMS) I have my digi 003, the Novation SL compact and a third device (Pro remote) which is an iphone controller ap for pro tools. None of these devices will let me drag their cables to connect to one another. Do I have to set up AMS to use the novation, it is not mentioned in any of the Novation setup guides.
If the novation is connected via USB then you won't need to connect any virtual cables..

You could try just connecting it with a MIDI cable to the 003 and then on a MIDI track, set the input to "003 predefined port 1> CH1"

Another thing you might look into is doing a full/hard reset to factory default on the Novation.. Maybe you set something in a weird way..
Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM

i should ad that I do get a very tiny reading on the meter in tools when i hit the keys, about 1 led on the meter. I have just done the exact thing as the previous poster using a physical midi cable but get the same result. I have already tried a hard reset. I will try it again. Just Fired up Cubase sx 4 again and the key input works straight away, man this is frustrating, it would be nice if Novation answered my tech support emails, I had heard they gave good support!!! I might forward them this forum link, maybe that might get them moving...then again it could be a Pro_tools issue!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

as an update, it seems that the problem lies with pro tools not with the Novation, time for some digi tech support unless anybody has any suggestions. Midi filtering is turned off, very frustrating. As I mentioned all works fine in Cubase......
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM

any ideas user Digitechsupport? I now have a completely virgin installation of 8.01 then 8.03, no plugins, followed every recommendation (ticked midi through, enabled the midi device for input, made sure no midi filtering is happening etc.), read your FAQ's, sent a support email to Digi (no reply yet, it has only been 24 hours), tried everything from Novation support, and no result.
Surely this can't be true, new Imac 2.8 ghz dual core, 4 gig ram, new Digi 003factory, 8.03 protools and 8.01 tried, Novation Compact Sl........oh sorry she don't record midi keys but all other DAWS do record the keys!!! However be happy beacuse all other midi functionality works.....aftertouch, modulation, drum pads.....
ah man I'm going for a smoke and I don't even smoke.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Avid

Do you possibly have the Novation set to transmit on multiple zones? Fire up a MIDI monitoring app, press a key and tell me what data the one keypress is sending.

Also try changing the default MIDI thru instrument in Preference>MIDI.

It sounds like you've got it sending multiple MIDI notes on different channels, which are summed at the Pro Tools input, resulting in on/off note conflicts. You could also try setting the input to a single MIDI channel, though that may not necessarily reveal the entire situation.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Avid

Also, for future reference, please read the Help Us Help You thread for details about why you may not get an answer directly from tech support here on the DUC.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM

07:45:37.366 From ReMOTE SL Compact Port 1 Note On 1 F1 46
07:45:37.868 From ReMOTE SL Compact Port 1 Note Off 1 F1 64
07:45:38.755 From ReMOTE SL Compact Port 1 Note On 1 F#1 76
07:45:39.258 From ReMOTE SL Compact Port 1 Note Off 1 F#1 64
07:45:40.006 From ReMOTE SL Compact Port 1 Channel Pressure 1 11
07:45:40.037 From ReMOTE SL Compact Port 1 Channel Pressure 1 0

here is a report from midi monitor, the first 4 entries are from hitting the drum pad twice on the novation which works with protools well, the second 2 entries are from hitting one key on the novation once that wont record.

And yes DigiTechSupt, I have read the help us help you, I have lodged a tech support with Digi via the appropriate channels, I was not expecting them to reply here, I was refering to you for a reply which you did, thanks for the help.
I have checked the Novation, it is not transmitting on multiple zones.
Still no solution unfortunately. I will try changing the midi thru when I get home.