Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 PM

Default \"The application Pro Tools LE 7.4 quit unexpectedly\"

Sorry if this has been covered a bazillion times here, but I'm running OS X 10.4.11 on a 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 with 2GB of RAM and just downloaded Pro Tools LE 7.4, using an Mbox ... I click on the PT icon, it bounces for about 5 seconds, and I get the message that's in my subject line.

(I'm going insane)

I've done all the updates, the prebinding deal, reset disk permissions, rebooted, smacked the thing, and still nothing.

Has anybody had the same experience, and if so, what was your solution? At this point, I'd be willing to work in OS 9 with PT 5 just so I could get some work done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Re: \"The application Pro Tools LE 7.4 quit unexpectedly\"

Have you uninstalled/re-installed? Checked that all your plug-ins are compatible?

The "General Troubleshooting" thread is a great place to start. It's near the top of the forum list, amongst those with the push-pin icons next to them.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 PM

Yeah. Thanks for that. I feel like I've been through everything on the General Troubleshooting thread. None of it has worked for me. It's so frustrating. Not sure who to ask or where to go or how to get this thing working. I've rebooted, re-installed, gotten rid of older non-supported plug-ins, tried a different administrator .... all that, and no luck. My wife just asked, "Do you just need to get a new computer?!" She shouldn't have to ask that question.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I've had Pro Tools on my laptop since 1999 and never had any problems until now. Uggghh. Everything used to just be click and go with a Mac ... now, I'm losing faith, but I'm sure there's an answer somewhere.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 AM

How about running the Apple Hardware test? Maybe you have some bad RAM in there. You should also try a different USB port and/or cable.

Also, were you running 7.3.1 successfully and now just 7.4 won't work, or were you having PT problems with previous versions as well.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 PM

How did you install the 10.4.11 Os update, have you tried reinstalling from the apple combo updater?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks guys. I will try both of those ideas.

I was running 7.1 before yesterday, but it, too, did the same thing. I thought upgrading to 7.4 might help ...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Tried the Hardware Test -- all is good.

Tried the Combo thing; didn't work.

Tried rebooting again; didn't work.

I recently loaned my Mbox to a friend who used the same cable with results, I switched USB ports and my USB hub lists an Mbox when I have it hooked up.

I'm lost ... and now actually thinking of looking for a new computer (I use this laptop for everything, and I know Pro Tools likes to be left alone). Maybe everything is just too scattered on this laptop ... too much multi-use stuff going on; Photo Shop, Quicktime, Safari, Firefox, Transmission, etc .... ???

Anyway, if anybody else has any clues, I'd appreciate them. I was supposed to start a mix tomorrow and now I'll have to go elsewhere (maybe it's the ghost of the world-class studio haunting me? But, I give them enough business, too, so maybe it's just random).

Thanks for the tips, though ... much appreciated.