Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 MIDI Recording Q: How to Record Dynamics but no notes from Breath Ctrler

Hi All,

May seem like a fairly weird question, but I am doing some sampling based music. I like the breath controller a lot for providing dynamics, but the fingerings are a bit annoying and lead to some spurious notes during the transitions. I also have a midi keyboard which is useful for putting in the right notes. What I really would like to do is go through a phrase once with the keyboard, providing the right notes, and then go back through with the midi breath controller in order to provide dynamics. Is this possible? Ideally I'd like to tell ProTools just to read in the breath information but not the note information from the midi breath controller. I know there are work-arounds...like playing a particular note and deleting it later, but that's not ideal because the process of recording is made worse by hearing bad notes in addition to the right ones, even if I can delete them later. I know I could also copy the breath information from another track, but that seems cumbersome and again I can't monitor what the end result would sound like in real time.

Does anyone have any ideas? Learning the fingerings for a midi breath controller seems almost like learning another instrument, and I would rather circumvent that.

Thank you,
-Ben