Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Intel vs. AMD for Pro Tools

There is quite a bit of talk about the i9s over on Tom's Hardware forum. From what some of the members are saying, it will require liquid cooling. I didn't see anything about that on the Intel link above, but I didn't read everything.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
There is quite a bit of talk about the i9s over on Tom's Hardware forum. From what some of the members are saying, it will require liquid cooling. I didn't see anything about that on the Intel link above, but I didn't read everything.
I think the higher cores are the ones that will require liquid cooling. Its really a non issue as there are liquid coolers for not much more than what a good heatsink cooler costs. Intel is releasing a new liquid cooling unit as well.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-30-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Cepeda View Post
I think it is the first time that I see "Intel" and "cheap" in the same sentence :P

I'd rather get an AMD Threadripper than an Intel i9. Simply because AMD's top processor will have only two cores less and price difference will probably be huge!
Intel is massively dropping there prices. The 10 core for example is coming down from 1800$ or 1000$ and the 6 core is dropping to well under 400$. They are also changing their release methods for lower/higher core count/chipsets. A big amount of information was just released on the new Intel lines, including information new processors, chipsets, sockets, release cycles, and pricing. They are denying it, but they seem to be possibly just underpricing and trying force AMD to go even lower to stay appealing.

We have never been able to compare Intel/AMD core for core. They are just function to different. Core per core, Intel has always had better performance. AMD just adds more cores cranks up clocking in response. The AMD's I owned in years past, I heated my house with they ran so hot!!

There will still be reasons to stay with Intel though, such as needing Thunderbolt support and any variance of using OSX on your system (even in VM"s) will require Intel. AMD has never been able to hang on long when Intel buckles down and takes it serious. It will be interesting to see if they have anymore luck this go around.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-30-2017, 01:46 PM

No doubt intel has dropped prices. But they also changed some features. Used to the lowest chip had 28 pcie lanes and the rest 40. Now the bottom 2 are limited to 28 lanes. How many people that really affects is hard to tell. But I wish they would all have 40. Then it wouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
No doubt intel has dropped prices. But they also changed some features. Used to the lowest chip had 28 pcie lanes and the rest 40. Now the bottom 2 are limited to 28 lanes. How many people that really affects is hard to tell. But I wish they would all have 40. Then it wouldn't even be a consideration.
No, it was (is) the low end 6 core and below had 28. The high end 6 core and up had 40. With the pricing change, it basically costs the same now for an 8 core with 40 lanes as it did to have a 6 core with 40 lanes.

28 lanes will feed a video card with 3 outputs, PCIe SSD, and a Thunderbolt or PCIe (HDN-HDX) interface without issue.
If you are not using a PCIe or Thunderbolt interface, it is not even a concern to you.

Unless you are running a large SLI configuration and or hanging a bunch of devices off Thunderbolt ports like Mac users are forced to do, its not even an issue.

Most of the people whining on the forums about the 28 lanes have no idea what they whining about.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM

Funny how my 4 year old thread may have some relevance again. Of course it is a shame that it took AMD so long to roll out it's newest line, allowing Intel to charge premium prices for it's latest CPUs, with only modest increases in performance from the previous generation.

I hadn't visited this thread in a long time, surprised to see it had over 25,000 reads!

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Default Intel vs. AMD for Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
No, it was (is) the low end 6 core and below had 28. The high end 6 core and up had 40. With the pricing change, it basically costs the same now for an 8 core with 40 lanes as it did to have a 6 core with 40 lanes.

28 lanes will feed a video card with 3 outputs, PCIe SSD, and a Thunderbolt or PCIe (HDN-HDX) interface without issue.
If you are not using a PCIe or Thunderbolt interface, it is not even a concern to you.

Unless you are running a large SLI configuration and or hanging a bunch of devices off Thunderbolt ports like Mac users are forced to do, its not even an issue.

Most of the people whining on the forums about the 28 lanes have no idea what they whining about.

That's what I was trying to say. Previously the least expensive cpu of the "E" series chips had 28 lanes. The others had 40. Now they've decided the 2 least expensive chips get 28. Instead of just one chip being "limited".

And I'm sure it's not an easy limit to get to. But I can see eventually running up to the limit as you add on accessories. Just give all the chips 40 lanes. Then you definitely wouldn't have to think about it. Unless you have some super rig. I just dislike things being "limited" to create more interest in higher cost parts. Let the number of cores and clock speed be the differentiator. That's plenty of difference in imo.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
That's what I was trying to say. Previously the least expensive cpu of the "E" series chips had 28 lanes. The others had 40. Now they've decided the 2 least expensive chips get 28. Instead of just one chip being "limited".

And I'm sure it's not an easy limit to get to. But I can see eventually running up to the limit as you add on accessories. Just give all the chips 40 lanes. Then you definitely wouldn't have to think about it. Unless you have some super rig. I just dislike things being "limited" to create more interest in higher cost parts. Let the number of cores and clock speed be the differentiator. That's plenty of difference in imo.
To get prices lowered though, things have to cut. If you are that serious of a user, less than 200$ more for 2 more cores and 40 lanes should not be an issue.

The best Ryzen only has 24 lanes. The chipset which also supplies separate PCIe lanes, which are basically the Southbridge lanes. This is actually what most peripherals connect to. Ryzen only supplies PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0 specs like Intel. This is hitting users hard when trying to use M.2 (AMD based boards with 2 M.2 slots) or or a couple PCIe based drives, they are getting slower data transfer speeds. But Ryzen does not have Thunderbolt, so it mitigates some of the risk. Heavy gamers in SLI configs are also having issues with Ryzen due to the these.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I think the higher cores are the ones that will require liquid cooling. Its really a non issue as there are liquid coolers for not much more than what a good heatsink cooler costs. Intel is releasing a new liquid cooling unit as well.
Liquid cooling is actually twice as expensive as a regular (good quality) cooling fan for the CPU. I've got plenty of gamer friends who use liquid cooling for their processors and GPUs. The minimum cooling kit costs 100 EUR, while a great CPU fan cost around 50 EUR.

Still, it's a small difference if we consider how much processing power this processors will deliver!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
The best Ryzen only has 24 lanes. The chipset which also supplies separate PCIe lanes, which are basically the Southbridge lanes. This is actually what most peripherals connect to. Ryzen only supplies PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0 specs like Intel.

I can't parse this to see if you are stating incorrect information or just not writing clearly, so let's be careful. Ryzen itself had 24 lanes that are all PCIe 3, the X370 APU has 8 x PCIe 2 lanes.

I agree that Ryzen systems may run into PCIe slot configuration issues, solvable with a nice PLX switch on the motherboard but I don't expect Ryzen motherboard manufacturers to spend the $ on expensive switch chips. I expect M.2 drives to become super popular and Ryzen is not so configurable for folks with multiple M.2 drives, or you may end up burning larger slots just to get a x4 M.2 card in that slot.

The best thing about Ryzen IMNSHO is the pressure it is putting on Chipzilla. A 10 core i9 with 40 lanes of PCIe 3 looks pretty damn nice. Not sure 128 GB monsters with no ECC is a good idea, .... oh yes Ryzen CPUs support ECC. How many motherboards will is TBD. Hello Intel about your Xeon E5 pricing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk