Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 AM

Question Best equipment for voice over ??

hello guys,
I'm really interested to know what is the best voice over equipments, i would specify technically but i'm a business man who is ready to invest in a sound proof room with voice over equipments.

In other words, what i really need is to change voices of the actors, (im already aware that it needs talent) but rather than that, there are voices that come in games that have psycho killer mode hehe, or god of war, or as if someone talking on the radio channel, what equipment do i need to record these voices in a live-immediately-voice over environment, no video mixing needed

(Im aware that i will hire a technician and a sound engineer,)

Thanx in advance
Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Best equipment for voice over ??

For effects like psycho killer or god of war, you need what are know as plugins. These are small software programs that are sometimes expensive (but sometimes cheap or even free) and run within a host, such as Pro Tools. This isn't the best forum to learn about all your options for audio effects, though, because this is a Pro Tools-specific forum and there are many, many choices besides the effects that are bundled with Pro Tools. I recommend www.kvraudio.com which is a wonderful community of musicians, audio engineers, and sound designers who will be patient and answer all of your questions about the sort of audio effects you are looking for. After you register, click on the "Forums" link and post on the "Effects" forum. You will get tons of responses from very knowedgeable people, many of them are professional engineers.

Good luck, and don't spend a ton of money until you know what you need. What you have described shouldn't cost very much if you have some foreknowledge about exactly what you require.

Also, if you hire a good audio engineer, they should have a very deep bag of their own tricks for sound effects.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 PM

I'll add that if you are going to hire a full time engineer he may have some things he would want and some he could do with out.

Also not to discourage you but depending on were you are will you have the clientele to keep the doors open and/or will you be fighting with 3 other places on the same block.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM

thinking about it my 6 cover almost anything VO mics:
U-87
KMH416
SM-57 or SM-7
MD-421
RE-20

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 PM

Well to be honest, start of small and build on what you start off with, MBOX 2 and a large diaphragm condenser mic, sound effects and a good contractor. Zoom effects processor well get those off the wall sounds. Sound effects can be downloaded at a number of place on the web...

Talent comes and goes,,,, but it what you do with it.......

supadupadopeproducer**
Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 AM

Many thanks to you guys for all the info,

Trevorj: i will sign up with www.kvraudio.com and post my thread there

Craig F : I will consider those kind of mics as a start up for mic specs

later
ill post my experience here
Old 10-03-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
thinking about it my 6 cover almost anything VO mics:
U-87
KMH416
SM-57 or SM-7
MD-421
RE-20
Craig has put together a great list here. Would cover darn near any situation or voice. If you have the bucks, the Neumann U-87 would be my preferred mic, but the RE20 or SM7 would serve you well for a lot less money. OR you can use the SM-57 on ANYTHING.. and it's only around $90.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:42 AM

Question Re: Best equipment for voice over ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
Craig has put together a great list here. Would cover darn near any situation or voice. If you have the bucks, the Neumann U-87 would be my preferred mic, but the RE20 or SM7 would serve you well for a lot less money. OR you can use the SM-57 on ANYTHING.. and it's only around $90.
its really great guys how ur trying to help me, but i need i really wish to know what is the hardeware needed for such a thing and what is the specs needed for that \\ ill give u an example\\ i want to localize god of war and turn it from english to my own language (Dubbing)so ive heard that i need some hardware to do that, and after having the right hardware we'll go to next step of plugins to get the best voice over.

ive heard ideas here and there so ill ask what to have exactly:
1. Microphones + external pop filters.
2. Studio Channel ( what kind, or what functions should be there to make the job done , compressor? equalizer? ...etc)
3. Mixer ( how many channels should atleast be there for a game dubbing? how large should it be? what specs?)
4. what sound card & pc specs to make it done?
5. ive heard too that i have to had something called feeders, dunno what exactly is it , but i think it changes the analog voice into digital for the computer or vice versa , hehe im not sure? and do i need it., or is it now all in digital from the mics immediately?
6. did i miss anything, is there any more hardware needed??

ihope u can get my image now,
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfather View Post
its really great guys how ur trying to help me, but i need i really wish to know what is the hardeware needed for such a thing and what is the specs needed for that \\ ill give u an example\\ i want to localize god of war and turn it from english to my own language (Dubbing)so ive heard that i need some hardware to do that, and after having the right hardware we'll go to next step of plugins to get the best voice over.

ive heard ideas here and there so ill ask what to have exactly:
1. Microphones + external pop filters.
2. Studio Channel ( what kind, or what functions should be there to make the job done , compressor? equalizer? ...etc)
3. Mixer ( how many channels should atleast be there for a game dubbing? how large should it be? what specs?)
4. what sound card & pc specs to make it done?
5. ive heard too that i have to had something called feeders, dunno what exactly is it , but i think it changes the analog voice into digital for the computer or vice versa , hehe im not sure? and do i need it., or is it now all in digital from the mics immediately?
6. did i miss anything, is there any more hardware needed??

ihope u can get my image now,
1. Already posted here.
2. Pro Tools has all the plug ins necessary - compressors, limiters, reverbs.
3. None needed.
4. M-Box Pro, Intel Mac
5. Feeders? Maybe you mean A/D-D/A converters. Built into M-Box
6. Things you should also have:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cycloped.../dp/0672206757

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Recor...4735805&sr=1-3

Or at the very least:
http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Musi...4735901&sr=1-8
Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanx alot M8