Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 PM

Default PT 6.0 for OS X.2 deadline

OK, it read the promise of "by the end of the year" It is December 11th. Anyone know if by the end of the year means this year or not?

I still need to update to X.2 Jaguar. I am still ticked off about that. My computer came with 10.1, but I have to shell out $100+ more smackaroos for a .1 upgrade, Bill Gates should be jealous.

have I missed something?

Richard
Old 12-11-2002, 08:47 PM

Default Re: PT 6.0 for OS X.2 deadline

Last I heard, the update to 6.0 was due "first quarter 2003". I can't remember if that was here on the DUC, a trade magazine, or some other site. It bummed me out, though. OS X has to be how old before we get a version of PT that works with it?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:36 PM

no kidding. all of my other programs have managed to switch to OS X a long time ago, granted i know digidesign has some hardware issues to work with, but still. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i seriously hope you heard wrong about the first quarter 03 release, i REALLY hope that magazine or article or show was dead wrong but wouldn't be the least bit surprised if i'll be installing it and running it for the first time come May.

let's get on the stick digidesign. post here and tell us we're wrong and it'll be available for d/l next week. please. its been long enough. websites are great tools for informing your loyal client base, lets make use of it and give us some updates, we've all been in the dark for months more or less.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:53 PM

Yes, I want confirmation about the realease for PT LE 6 for Mbox (or at least CoreAudio drivers), cause there is a great chance that I can sell my current iBook and get a new one by the end of January. If that iBook won't boot into OS 9, how big is the chance that I'll be without using my Mbox for two, three or four months?
Old 12-12-2002, 05:20 PM

I was at AES in LA in October and saw and used 6.0. It's very cool! However they informed me there, and it was backed up in the latest Mac Addict, hat it wont be out until 2003. "Hopefully by first quarter" said one Digidesign rep.
Which means by the time you make the switch and update all of your plugs, you won't really be using it until april or may.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:27 PM

Another question if anyone knows, speaking of pluggins, I own Waves Power Pack, will that be available when I switch over to OS X.2 , and PT 6.0?

Anyone know?
Richard
Old 12-12-2002, 09:55 PM

Digi has been working on an OS X version for a couple years now. If it were easy, they'd have it out by now. One of the problems they have is that everytime Apple puts out a new .point upgrade, Digi has to rewrite the code. So just when they think they got it, Apple puts out an upgrade and *bam* back to the drawing board.

At the risk of being flamed, there are over 30,000 users here and believe me they are all waiting for the upgrade to come out. Bitching about it isn't going to make the programmers put it out any faster. It's not like they are kicking back when the bosses aren't looking playing video games and goofing off, and then they check the DUC and see a bunch of bitching going on and go "hey, those guys are right, we better get to work here". Like that will really get them to work faster. It's like when your troubleshooting a dead snare drum line right before the concert is about to start and theres some drunk guy in the stands yelling at you to get the show up when you are doing everything you can to make it happen. It doesn't help. You just want to tell him to shut the hell up. I think Digi probably feels the same way to some degree. They are working as fast as they can. They have a lot of compitition out there and they know they have to put out to keep up or shut down. When the new version comes out, it will kick ass. The current one already does.

Sorry for the rant. When it comes out, we will all be happy. Then a week later, we will be bitching for the next version to come out.

Gremz ><>
Old 12-12-2002, 10:43 PM

As far as plugz are concerned, a lot of them are pretty much ready, just waiting for PT6 to be released. McDSP and DUY state it on their website, and 3 weeks ago, I attended a sneak preview of PT6 with Waves v.4. We were supposed to see (hear) Wave Mechanics and GRM stuff on OS X, but didn't have the time. So when PT6 comes out, there should be a decent amount of stuff available readily, including Waves [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2002, 11:26 PM

what is os 10.2 going to do that is so much greater that 9.2.2? I've read the blurb from digi and yes there are some new features like the command focus. For those of of with older machines ir 733 quicksilver will we actually be able to run more tracks, more plugs.? I for one will not be likely be and early adopter. BTW does anyone know how much Waves will be charging forf upgrades to its various packages ie Gold, NPP ,Ren collection? AFAIK this is not going to be a free upgrade for any conponent of the rec ording chain ie Apple digi waves et al are all going to want a little something
Old 12-13-2002, 04:13 AM

from b mcgibney
Quote:
what is os 10.2 going to do that is so much greater that 9.2.2?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">err, with respect, have you used OSX and understand what it is?
It's the same thing as converting from 68000 processors to the 601 many years ago, except in software. The OS isn't going to dictate the number of tracks and so on.
It's a complete re-write and re-implementation of the OS. Digi is dealing at a pretty low level of hardware and things can be pretty fineky at that level. if the OS changes, re-writes of code are neccessary.

[/end rant]