Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-30-1998, 06:00 PM

Default MasterList Speed Problem

When I first purchased MasterList and my Pinnacle RCD 1000 I was able to burn CD's at 2X speed but no longer. Now I can barely burn at 1X. I have an 8100/110 with 80megs RAM. I've tried everything. Any suggestions?
Old 04-02-1998, 07:46 PM

Default Re: MasterList Speed Problem

Added anything to the SCSI chain recently?
When did you last de-fragment the HD?
How is audio playback with multiple tracks?
What's the hardware?
Clear out the extentions folder!
Check for apps running in the background!
Have you recently upgraded anything, DSI DAE,System...?
Is the SCSI chain terminated?
Tried using oxygen free kryptonite polarised bamboo coated under water flourescent pink over sampled 128 bit 2GHz 3D non SCMS DVD ready SCSI cables with little pink fluffy ears ??
Can you write at 2X from a disk image ?
Old 04-03-1998, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. The only things I've really changed since day one are OS updates and DAE updates. I make sure everytime to disconnect any excess drives, turn off all extensions (except Digi INIT) and always burn image files. This should work but barely gets by at 1X. Do you think it's possible that the original OS (7.5.1) was faster? I've been putting the image files on my main internal hard drive (with the OS and MLCD). This is the right way isn't it? The CDR drive works at 2X speed no problem with Toast software - even with all extensions ON!!! I'm stumped!!! I kinda wish someone at Digi could give me an answer.
Old 04-03-1998, 04:55 PM

Hmmm tricky one this, check if the DAE & DSI are from the same set, it may also be worth a try to re install the original DAE-DSI pair from the MLCD disks if possible remembering to put your updated ones in a safe folder before doing so.

In the case of the OS, I started with a PowerMac 7200/90 running 7.5.2 Portugueese, then installed the 7.5.3 British update on top, then went to 7.5.5 US update version all without a single glitch I'm now running 8.1 British on a PowerMac 7300/200 and still OK so I think the OS is of little concern However if in doubt a clean install can't hurt. Back up to CDR first, using Toast SCSI copy, and de-authorize just for safety.

In terms of the hard disk I always use the disk on the Mac SCSI buss as I only have an AMIII card, and I have also written at 4X speed ( no disk image ) on my Yamaha CDR400 directly from a backup of SDII files on a CD ROM in my 12X CD ROM drive, so I cant Imagine the HD being too much of a problem

I belive that there is a version 2.0 of MLCD that will run under DAE PowerMix therfore bypassing all Digi hardware, although if writing fron a disk image is slow then the hardware/DAE-DSI is not at fault. Do you write a contingious file to disk? you should! Try experimenting with write LS Byte first and last options in the write image file (this could be the chap !!!)

Maybee its worth updating MLCD if you have an old version.

A crazy but sometimes succesful solution is to try the operation with all extentions ON, maybee by switching them all off you are removing some nescessary item ?¿?

Also IF possible try borrowing another CD writer.

If the writer is of the caddy type try a new caddy.

Try theese and see how you go on The omly way to solve these things is to be patient, methodical amd try ALL possibilities no matter how stupid they sound. Or even prayer!!!

Let us all know if you have any luck or not, that is of course why we all watch this space !!!
Old 04-05-1998, 12:06 AM

Just another thaught! before trying all this try throwing away your MLCD preferences file.
Old 04-06-1998, 09:33 PM

Thanks. I'm gonna try some things and let you know what the verdict is....
Old 04-23-1998, 02:10 PM

Well, after all was said and done I bought a new burner and MLCD 2.01. Now everything works great!!!
Old 04-27-1998, 06:08 PM

A bit of a drastic solution!, A bit like using a cruise missile as gopher control, but at least it worked.
Old 04-29-1998, 12:01 AM

Yeah I know it seemed drastic but the RCD100 was too slow. That's why it didn't work. The new Yamaha CDR400AT works great though. I wish I hadn't fought with the old burner for so long....

Take care,
sp
Old 05-26-1998, 03:16 PM
Avid

Hey Joules, Thanks for the input...Have you ever thought about a career in Tech Supt?

I particularly liked this line...

Tried using oxygen free kryptonite polarised bamboo coated under water flourescent pink over sampled 128 bit 2GHz 3D non SCMS DVD ready SCSI cables with little pink fluffy ears ??

I'll add it to our database...

Thanks,

JC