Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 05-16-2018, 07:36 AM

Default Can't get ProTools First to recognise my Interface

Hi. Apologies for the long message...My Studio Windows PC is set up for audio. I run Cubase Pro 9.5 from it daily with no issues. I recently decided I needed access to Pro Tools, so I downloaded the latest Pro Tools 'First' version so I could learn the ropes.

My problem is, I can't seem to get Pro Tools First to see my audio interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40). The Pro 40 works perfectly in Cubase btw.

I have the latest Focusrite drivers installed (Saffire Mix Control 3.7), but when i start Pro Tools and try to set the playback engine, I get the following option with no dropdown option to allow me to select the Pro 40 (See FIG.1 attached).

So the only way I could get Pro Tools to see the Saffire was to install ASIO4ALL which then gave me the following improved option (See FIG.2 attached).

At least it was seeing it now, and I could access the ASIO4ALL control panel from within ProTools First (See FIG.3)

But whenever I tried to start a session it would begin loading up and then ultimately crash with the following error message (See FIG. 4).

My PC audio ins and outs are the same as I've always had them, just the Saffire and the regular windows onboard..(See Fig.5).

So far I haven't been able to even open a session or play a note.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm currently stumped!
Many thanks in advance.

Steve

PC / Win 10 / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 / Pro Tools First (May 2018)
Attached Images
File Type: png Fig1.png (11.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png FIG 2.png (12.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png FIG 3.png (21.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png FIG 4.png (16.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png FIG 5.png (26.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Can't get ProTools First to recognise my Interface

Try holding down the N key while Pro Tools loads. This should force a hardware refresh and allow you to pick your audio interface.

Also make sure that nothing else is using the Saffire at the same time Pro Tools is attempting to use it. Windows will typically default to using your audio interface for all sound, and this can lead to issues.

Also check out the Optimization and Help Us Help You guides.

System Details
Old 05-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Try holding down the N key while Pro Tools loads. This should force a hardware refresh and allow you to pick your audio interface.

Also make sure that nothing else is using the Saffire at the same time Pro Tools is attempting to use it. Windows will typically default to using your audio interface for all sound, and this can lead to issues.

Also check out the Optimization and Help Us Help You guides.
Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately, pressing N on start up doesn't seem to afford me any more options, it's still not seeing the interface (if ASIO4ALL is uninstalled).

I've gone through the troubleshooting, Appreciate it, but its all pretty generic stuff regarding processing power, if it was something like that Cubase wouldn't work. All my drivers are up to date.

Appreciate the help though.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Is Cubase accessing the Scarlett via a WDM or WASAPI driver?

Pro Tools will only use the ASIO driver so if it's not available in Pro Tools, there's got to be something wrong with the driver installation. I would completely uninstall everything involved with the Scarlett and MixControl and then reinstall the latest driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Is Cubase accessing the Scarlett via a WDM or WASAPI driver?

Pro Tools will only use the ASIO driver so if it's not available in Pro Tools, there's got to be something wrong with the driver installation. I would completely uninstall everything involved with the Scarlett and MixControl and then reinstall the latest driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Jimmy,

Cubase accesses the Saphire Pro 40 via the focusrite ASIO driver

Works fine with Cubase.

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Make sure the Windows "speakers" isn't assigned to the Saffire (which it is in your screenshot.) Assign Windows to something else.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:59 PM

I really need to make a sticky for this since it's been posted from just about every new PT windows user- here is the setup: Control Panel Sound under playback tab select Realtek audio as Default device. Focusrite should be enabled but not default. Under the Recording tab select either Line In or microphone as the Default. Focusrite Enabled but not Default. Restart pro tools with the n key. It should automatically pick up the focusrite, ASIO4all is not necessary as you are correct the focusrite ASIO should work fine. Note: pro tools first is cloud based and limited which means you cant save your work to your hard drive, you must have a decent internet connection and the only plugins that will work are the basic set that comes with the download and any you purchase directly through the Marketplace app menu in ProTools itself.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I really need to make a sticky for this since it's been posted from just about every new PT windows user- here is the setup: Control Panel Sound under playback tab select Realtek audio as Default device. Focusrite should be enabled but not default. Under the Recording tab select either Line In or microphone as the Default. Focusrite Enabled but not Default. Restart pro tools with the n key. It should automatically pick up the focusrite, ASIO4all is not necessary as you are correct the focusrite ASIO should work fine. Note: pro tools first is cloud based and limited which means you cant save your work to your hard drive, you must have a decent internet connection and the only plugins that will work are the basic set that comes with the download and any you purchase directly through the Marketplace app menu in ProTools itself.

Hey, appreciate you taking the time to help.

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve it.
I did have the saffire set as default, so after reading your post, I thought that might be it, but putting the Realtek as default doesn't change anything for me.
I even reinstalled the focusrite driver in case there was an issue, restarted multiple times with the N key...with and without ASIO4ALL..nothing seems to work unfortunately.

I just can't seem to get ProTools working on my system, which seems crazy as it's not a particularly unusual system, it's just windows 10 with a focusrite firewire interface.

To conclude, the error message I keep getting is this.

"Could not save as "0000" because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 222437\ ProTools\ App\ Document\ UProjectBundleMgr.cpp", line 1693.

(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.). "

Last edited by Big Cloud; 05-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:19 PM

Default Can't get ProTools First to recognise my Interface

Things to try:

Really really make sure Windows and no other apps are using that audio device via ASIO or WDM.

Uninstall ASIO4ALL, you should not need and don't want this.

Try setting the interface sample rate etc. to match the session sample rate etc. before launching Pro Tools First.

Uninstall and reinstall the ASIO drivers

Trash prefs.

If that does not work it may be time to give up, or if you want to punish yourself...

0. Try a test install of Windows 10 and Pro Tools First and the interface driver and nothing else on a spare drive/partition.
1. Pay Avid support for a support call.
2. Contact Focusrite support for help.

Or give up on Pro Tools First (it is very crippled anyhow) and go full Pro Tools 2018 if you really need Pro Tools mojo. You can try with a monthly rental (any you get much more help then from other users here... few folks here use First).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 PM

This does not appear to be an AAE error which means its probably not related to the interface/driver. Download the trasher app or follow the Avid optimization guide(Link in help us help you link)to delete Pro tools preferences in App data. How far is your pro tools load getting to exactly?