Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 03:34 AM

Default Weird HUI Question

The weirdest thing is happening. I hope someone here went through the same thing and can help.
Let me explain what I have first.
I'm using PT's with the HUI as a controller and a playback mixer as well.
When playing back material on the HUI it goes through a Hafter amp which is connected to a monster cable speaker selector then to most of my speakers except for my new Event SP8's-(Oh do I luv'em) which is directly comeing out of my HUI to speakers.
OK...Sometimes the right speaker goes out and only left plays. Sometimes the right speaker is louder than the left. When either situation happens I turn up the volume knob on the HUI until both play at the right level. I know this is dangerous because sometimes they don't play right until I really play it loud.
Now that I have my new Event's I don't want to blow them by doing this.
When I mess with the back of the HUI or just move the HUI a little it plays right for a min and sometimes for the rest of the day. I thought it was the amp but when hooking up the Events which are powered it still does the samething. Then I thought it was the cables so I change them and still the samething.
Most likely it's the HUI and it seems that it could be a cable that maybe lose inside but I'm not a tech so I don't know. When looking to open it i didn't know here to start. How do you get in this thing? It's of course past the warranty.
What would make it play right by just turning it up all the way? It seems like the more the volume, makes it cut on. Really weird. Don't know if that is considered a short inside of the HUI. Again I'm not a tech so I have no idea.

Can someone help on this.

Thanx
M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-08-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Weird HUI Question

Oh yes, Mark, i can help you on this.
Stop using the HUI as control room level unit.

Did you ever did a listening test? It sounds really really crappy to me. There is a cheap VCA in the unit and you can even hear the clicks if you dial the level pot. Find another solution for your control room leveler, like a side mixer or something. As longs as you don't do 5.1 monitoring the options are plenty.
Shame isn't it? the idea was so good!

Fokke
Old 06-08-2004, 05:52 AM

I definitely agree with you Fokke.

Along the same lines with the HUI...how many HUI users are suffering from insane/dyslexic scribble strips?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:55 AM

Hey Fokke,
Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should get. I love my HUI for a controller but not for the audio. Of course the knob makes it easy to just go to, anything like that out that I can just get an hookup and still look pro and it could be right next to my HUI. I have it in a Argosy Board.

Thanx
M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 06-08-2004, 12:01 PM

I had the same problem. I have my HUI ins and outs hooked up to my patchbay and it turns out that patching the audio from my second computer's soundcard to the mackie was somehow shorting something out on one of the HUIs circuit boards. When I got it fixed the shop said that using a headphone amp that is fed from the HUI can cause the same problem everytime you insert and remove a headphone plug from the headphone amp. Its a degenerative issue, first one side will be quieter than the other (which moving the unit or plugs can seem to fix), but eventually the bad side will just stop working all together. I guess the key is to make sure both units are off and not passing signal whenever you connect the devices. Hope this helps.
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 06-08-2004, 02:54 PM

It turned out that i builded one myself. Because i wanted a real hifi low loss audio chain with stepped attenuators and so, and i wanted 5.1 support. The only one that comes close is the SPL 3180; http://www.spl-usa.com/smc/smc_E.html but the thing that i wanted is just not available. So, i build one myself. Not recommendable; it took me 3/4 of a year to build, test, listen, rebuild, measure etc etc. its almost finished now... but never again!

There is another thread here about the Mackie Big Knob. BUT: again; its a Mackie! I guess they have read the posts about the sound quality from the hui control room stage because there where numerous posts with complains about it, so it might have improved now. But; LISTEN B4 YOU BUY! BTW, Mackie has very bad support here in the Netherlands, extremely bad. I don't know in the US, but i am waiting for a part already now for 6 months! And the first dealer wasn't able to reach Mackie at all for it! but this is another topic.

Fokke.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
BUT: again; its a Mackie!
For this very reason I am sold on the Command|8. I don't use the HUI for monitoring, but we just spent $300+ fixing a HUI...again. The HUI is a NFG POS (how's that for acronyms? ).
Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 AM

We has a similar problem and solved it by resoldering the jack boards in the HUI. Resolder all the stress points-jacks and connectors. Give the connectors a shot of Caig D-5 before reassembly.
Matthew 11:15