Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Keep losing iLok authorization on multiple machines

So I have a very frustrating bug that's been haunting me for a couple weeks. I'm getting rather frequent error messages from Pro Tools saying PT lost communication with my iLok and I need to save or quit or reinsert my ilok. If I do nothing I'll get another message within 2-3 minutes saying Pro Tools has been restored however I've lost the ability to instantiate new plug ins and all the plugs go missing from the menu. What's weird is that plugs that are already instantiated operate as normal. If I unplug and reinsert the ilok I get the same issue as if I did nothing, a message pops up saying Pro Tools is restored - but I still can't use plug-ins. The first thing I did was uninstall/reinstall ILM - the issue persists. I then downgraded pro tools to 2019.6 (from 2019.10), issue persists. I purchased a new iLok 3 and synchronized, issue persists. What's weird is I'm having this exact same issue on 2 machines at completely difference facilities. The only thing I haven't done is downgrade my OS.

Thoughts?

Pro Tools 2019.12 (and 2019.10)
UAD Apollo Quad (machine 1)
AVID HDX/HD I/O (machine 2)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
64GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Old 12-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Keep losing iLok authorization on multiple machines

You dont say what macOS you have?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npapaleo View Post
...What's weird is I'm having this exact same issue on 2 machines at completely difference facilities.
Sounds like your iLok may be faulty.
I would immediately purchase US$30 ZDT and “enable TLC” in iLok License Manager – it’s imperative to switch TLC to “ON”. Keep a spare iLok handy. Read about it:
https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage

New ZDT subscriptions have a 7-day cooling off period. An expediency fee is required for immediate use.
With TLC enabled, you still need a spare iLok at home or work, to hold your replaced licenses: “This process usually takes a few days and will be done before Zero Downtime licenses expire.”

Italicised below quoted from: https://ilok.com/#!zdt-details
The Fine Print
Fees
The ZDT subscription fee is US$30 per iLok for up to one year or until your iLok breaks, is lost, or stolen; whichever comes first. ZDT fees do not include the price of an RMA order or a spare iLok.

RMA placed for a Broken iLok
A replacement iLok is included in your RMA order. The replacement iLok is shipped at the time the RMA is placed.

RMA placed for a Lost or Stolen iLok
With TLC enabled, PACE is authorized by software publishers to replace the licenses last seen on the iLok by our server. This happens automatically without any action from you, the end user. This process usually takes a few days and will be done before Zero Downtime licenses expire.

That means there are 4 possible fees: ZDT/RMA/spare iLok, plus Expediency fee (if required).

(Highly unlikely, but worth checking out) – maybe the USB ports on both machines are “going to sleep”. To change this, see:
Computer Optimization Guides – Adjust Power Options
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
Do all the other Optimizations listed.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 12-21-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: PS - welcome to the Community!
Old 12-21-2019, 06:44 PM

Forgot to say I’m on Mojave 10.14.6

Additionally as I stated above I already tried a brand new iLok and I’m still having the same behavior. Also I have ZDT & TLC. I’m truly banging my head against the wall here.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
...Additionally as I stated above I already tried a brand new iLok and I’m still having the same behavior. Also I have ZDT & TLC. ...
In the latest iLok License Manager (5.1.1.2937),
"Deactivate" Pro Tools and any other plug-in that's not behaving.
Then "Reactivate" them all.

Then Synchronize iLok.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 PM

I greatly appreciate all the insight. I’ve tried everything suggested. After making sure I was optimized for Mojave I deactivated and attempted to reactivate Pro Tools in the latest version of ILM. When trying to reactivate Pro Tools I received the following error from ILM “An Error Occurred During This Operation. An Unkown error occurred” Once I hit ok the reactivation completed as it should. When trying to deactivate/reactivate the avid complete bundle I received the following, “Error communicating with an iLok USB. A USB failure has been detected” After hitting ok the ILM went about it’s business reactivating the license.

Since this is a brand new (1 day old) iLok 3 and this exact behavior was happening with my previous iLok 2 I’m guessing the issue is either ILM or my USB ports. I’m going to run out tomorrow and buy a powered USB 2.0 hub and see if that does anything.

I just find it wild that it’s happening separately on different machines.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:00 AM

UPDATE: USB3 seems to have been the culprit. Had to run out and grab a USB2.0 powered hub and now 45min into a session and no issue. I find it fascinating that I can run this same machine/iLok for the last 3 years and just now my iLok decides it doesn't like USB3.

Update 2: I lied, the errors are back. Currently wiping my machine and downgrading back to High Sierra.

Last edited by npapaleo; 12-22-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: USB3 seems to have been the culprit. Had to run out and grab a USB2.0 powered hub and now 45min into a session and no issue. I find it fascinating that I can run this same machine/iLok for the last 3 years and just now my iLok decides it doesn't like USB3.

Update 2: I lied, the errors are back. Currently wiping my machine and downgrading back to High Sierra.
Saw your green light on - swear I’ll be late to my own funeral!
Anyway, I found this following HUBS info:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2328659&postcount=13

If connecting a lot of stuff especially external HDD or SSD I would go with a powered hub (esp. if connecting two USB 3 bus powered devices). If you have two external USB 3 SSD, put directly attach one to a USB 3 port on the Mac. Connect the other to the USB 3 port on a USB 3 hub connected to the other USB 3 port on the Mac. Then connect all your USB 2 dongles, wirless adepers etc. to that hub. That way both SSDs will have native USB 3 bandwidth and the USB 2 devices will all share a native USB 2 connection to the host. The microscopic extra latency of going though a USB 3 hub for the drive connected there will not be noticeable (or measurable) to a normal user. If you want a handy portable hub then buy a separate unpowered on. Ultimately with flaky things like how iLoks can behave you need to test stuff yourself and see.
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2462443&postcount=19
Have struggled a lot with this issue the last few months and did not have any luck using the iLok on
1) a good quality powered USB 3 hub
2) an unpowered USB 2 hub

Finally found only two ways to get that son-of-a-b... of an iLok to work as it is supposed to, which were
1) on a powered USB 2 hub
2) on the built in USB 2 hub of the Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard

At the moment I´m using version 1 which means I have plugged a powered USB 2 hub into my powered
USB 3 hub. On this powered USB 2 hub I have the iLok, my Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard and another
USB 2 flash drive with all my Waves, PA and HOFA licenses on. All other USB gear I have connected to the
powered 7-port USB 3 hub which is directly connected to the (USB 3) port of my MBP. So this finally works.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2462256&postcount=11
I've used a D-Link USB 2 hub for the last 10 years without issues.

It is bus powered and works with Waves USB key, iLok, Steinberg key all without issue and all at once.

Anker:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anke.../dp/B005NGQWL2

Recommended Workround For Problems With An iLok2 On USB3 Equipped Macs | Pro Tools
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...b3-equipp.html
Old 12-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Nutshell:

(1) Darryl’s “how to connect” (1st link above)

(2) PTE’s firmware update: “Apple’s USB3 ports sometimes have issues with USB2 devices. They have been addressing this through firmware updates. Make sure you don’t have any outstanding firmware updates (click the Apple in the upper left corner and select “Software Update”). If you have no outstanding firmware updates, try plugging a powered USB2 hub into your USB3 port.

(3) Have you tried: built in USB 2 hub of the Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard?

(4) iLok Dongle Buddy (short USB2.0 extension cable) - https://www.ilok.com/#!buy
Old 12-29-2019, 03:39 PM

FYI the culprit was a program called Duet Display which allows my iPad to work as a separate monitor. Apparently iLok and Duet do not play nice.