Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2020, 02:12 PM

Default Recording Question

I'm a total scrub with this program, pardon my question if it seems redundant.

I'm using Windows 10 on a Predator Helios 300 laptop.

I downloaded Pro Tools First from a newly purchased Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. All installations and downloads worked fine. Once booting up PTF and recording, a box would appear around my recording and nothing would be recorded.

2020-11-17 (2).jpg

The 2i2 is plugged into my Yamaha keyboard. Both the 2i2 and Pro Tools show that they are receiving sound from my Yamaha piano.

This same problem occurs whether or not the 2i2 is plugged in, and I'm just using my computer's microphone. This makes me think it's some small feature or button I grazed across and didn't pay attention to.

If you know what's going on, please help me out with this mildly infuriating problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-11-17 (3).jpg (37.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Recording Question

You can't record with your computer's in-built microphone. It's just the way it is. The I/O part of your track says "input 1". That means the 2i2's input 1. Plug in a XLR microphone, or a jack from your keyboard audio jack output to record its internal sounds. When you use an interface like 2i2 to run PT audio, it handles all output, input, and midi.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Recording Question

Hi Welcome to DUC.

What exactly are you trying to do? Record Audio or MIDI from what exact Yamaha keyboard and how exactly do you have it connected to the 2i2 and/or computer?

You are recording to an Instrument track. Those tracks record MIDI and you need to insert a virtual instrument plugin on them to convert the MIDI digital data to some sort of sound.

If you want to record audio out of a external keyboard/synth/electric piano etc. then you need to connect audio cable(s) from the Yamaha into the 2i2 and use an audio track in Pro Tools. What exact audio outputs your Yamaha has will affect what exact inputs you plug it into the 2i2.

DUC is not the place for beginner tutorials, you should be able to find lots of help on YouTube or other sites. Find some that are closest to what you want to do and try to just follow them through as much as possible before doing your own thing.