Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Just another Delay Compensation for LE advocate

Not to beat a dead horse, maybe just to beat Digi a little more and someone might hear it. Just got to play with some UAD plugs this weekend and wow do they rock. What doesn't rock is dealing with delay compensation. I normally avoid using plugs with major delay on my LE, but I was mixing on someone else's system with the UA's and needed the sound. This from the UA webzine.....

"Support Report: Pro Tools LE & UAD-1 Using Delay Comp
By Casey Schultheis

Right now, Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools M-Powered are the only major DAW applications that do not have automatic plug-in delay compensation (also known as "PDC")."

THIS IS ABSURD!!!!!!

I realize there are workarounds for delay comp, but what a pain in the a**. Sorry Digi, I know the real agenda is that everyone buy HD, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of loot. Help out the little guys who are loyal LE users. How can one of if, not THE most popular DAW platforms for pro music and post not have a feature that even consumer PC DAW's offer?

Thank you and goodnight

(I'm not trying to start a debate with anyone either, Just give us the feature that obviously is available!! and don't raise the price TOO much)
Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Just another Delay Compensation for LE advocate

I absolutely, positively agree. I also am a UAD-1e user, and the delay compensation "workaround" is just that—getting around a long-overdue glaring deficiency of PT LE.

Digi - how about making this a "value-add" option for your Music Production Toolkit users? I would gladly pay a nominal fee for this type of capability.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 PM

I agree!,

I'm also a Huge UAD user and also want to join the ranks of Pro Tools LE users who want ADC!!! There is no reason for not having automatic delay compensation in the LE version of Pro tools!

I hope DIGI will soon address this long requested feature that every other DAW application has had for a while. Jesus, even GarageBand has it!.

I also don't see how adding it to the LE Line would "cut" into the HD Market!!!

Let's start a petition and get this done!!!

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 PM

I can not imagine, that someone would go all out on a HD system because of delay issues in PT LE.

That is a $15.000 dollar jump!!!, at least where I live. So DIGI is not nudging anyone towards HD, by not implementing delay compensation in PT LE. These systems are lightyears apart(HD & LE).

My LE system has served me OK for the last 6 years. But now I can understand those who have complained all those years. I'm in a similar spot now. LE is to small for me(track wise and I/O). I'm getting more projects that need a system, NOT requiring all those time consuming "work-arounds". But all of us in audio land know that budgets are shrinking. And therefore, an HD system purchase is out of the question!!

I've been seeing this situation over and over, here on DUC for quite some time (years) now.

I can honestly say that I'm speachless about DIGI's respone over all this
(or a compleete lack of it).
Just as speechless as I was, 4-5 years ago when I saw the brand new 002. No BNC and AES I/O's!!! And now finally, they add an BNC I/O to it but no SMUX !!???. What is up with these folks at DIGI?? There has been this huge gap between these systems for 8 years!!! Speachless.

And allways the same speculation from DUC'ers that DIGI really wants us all to invest in TDM, and now HD systems.

What kind of business model would that be for us?? A business that require's something that costs $1500 but when that something has to many limitations, we invest in the next step that costs 10 times more than what we started with!!! Just to get up to 52 channels and 26 ch. I/O.
That means that we invest 1000% more to get 25% more functionality!!!

Why havent DIGI gone for the piece of the ever growing pie, in between LE and HD?? It has taken them 4 years to come up with the successor to the 002. And when it finally arrives................
it's just 002 in a new package!! with the BNC it should have had 4 years ago and still no AES I/O??

So pleace guys, dont wave your wallets for functions that ABSOLUTELLY SHOULD be there in the first place.

1. All Pro Tools systems are brilliant, when they are working and the smaller LE system can even complement a bigger HD system as an editing station, keeping a smoother workflow.

2. We all know that there is a far and wide gap in the market that Steinberg, Logic and others are thriving on.

3. We all know that DIGI should not be imposing a ridiculous business model up'on us.

4. We all know that DIGI should be all out, getting PT LE to work seamlessly with the absolutely heavenly Universal Audio plug-ins and not the other way around.

Has Digidesign given me and others, any reason to hold of on going another route all together? for one third of the cost of an HD system but equally if not better sounding package (Grammy winners and Grammy nominee enginers, not little old me ).

There is something grander than the new 003 in the works. A Digidesign representative graced us with a presence in a thread and hinted about this, few weeks back. But who knows what, when, how, if........

How Digidesign conducts business is mind boggling and a research material in itself.

Golli.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:

I hope DIGI will soon address this long requested feature that every other DAW application has had for a while. Jesus, even GarageBand has it!.

GarageBand???....Hey, my Mac came with that? Does that mean I should sell my Digi002, UAD-1e and try record that multi-million dollar recording with Garageband? Perhaps I should sell my MacPro and continue on with my old G4 Powerbook...

With that being said, I agree...I'd sign that petition...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Good to see there are some others just as frustrated... since petitions aren't allowed in the "rules", just go here and make a formal request.

Feature Requst Form

Send to your friends, all LE users you know. Lets get this done.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks,

Already done!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM

The market will correct Digi's indifferent, taken-for-granted treatment of its LE customer base. That said, I'm quite happy with my set-up. And it only takes half a page of thread reading on the Cubase forum to see real pain -- NO one is happy with the release of the half-baked Cubase 4. But it's continuing to be increasingly difficult for many of us here to ignore competing DAWs who are getting it right.

I've always said that if Logic ever created a version that had the editing architecture and features of PT, I'd jump in a New York second. I sometimes wake up with sticky sheets after dreaming about a seamless system based on apple horsepower (iMac/MacPro) and software (a Logic w/ the PT editing capabilities), through an Apogee Ensemble interface. Even though ADC (or PDC) is not an issue for me, I do hope the more enlightened in Cupertino come through for those of you for whom it is a real issue.
Wheels
Old 04-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Good to see there are some others just as frustrated... since petitions aren't allowed in the "rules", just go here and make a formal request.

Feature Requst Form

Send to your friends, all LE users you know. Lets get this done.
I sent my request in!

GregJ
Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
So pleace guys, dont wave your wallets for functions that ABSOLUTELLY SHOULD be there in the first place.
Exactly!

Btw, we did this request form thing already one year ago (or something like this), and nothing happened. Maybe they have a Delay Compensation Filter in their inbox?