Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Amek tac scorpion with Pro tols

Hello, Looking for some feedback here. Has anyone used the Amek Tac scorpion, could you give some Pro's And Cons about the console itself, and the intergration of using it with Pro tools as?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Amek tac scorpion with Pro tols

Just keep in mind that with any of these older consoles, you could be spending a significant amount of time repairing the console rather than making music. You'll be dealing with scratchy pots, scratchy faders, flaky switches, component failures, intermittencies, hairline fractures in PCB traces, power supply failures, etc., etc., etc. It's also quite possible that some of the parts you'll need to keep an old console going will either be expensive or not available (unless they're harvested from another scrapped console).You'll either need to factor in hiring a tech to deal with it, or make repairing the console your hobby. There are cool aspects to these big old consoles, but the people unloading them are often very happy not to have to deal with them anymore. When you see an ad for such a console, be alert to phrases like "needs TLC," "has scratchy pots/switches but that's to be expected," etc.

It seems that whenever I'm working in a place where someone's trying to keep an old console going, there's always something crackling, something scratching, something frying, something on the blink, etc. Takes will be ruined because of technical problems. The engineer will be scurrying around trying to patch around problems to keep the session going. The air in the control room will be a fog of De-Oxit, Pro-Gold, Cai-Klean, Cai-Lube and solder smoke.

Lee Blaske
Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 AM

How do you REALLY feel Lee? ;-)

I've got an Amek Einstein board I got new a hunnert years ago and it's working pretty good. Pots get a little scratchy from time to time... but nothing a little scrubbing usually doesn't fix. I use it with PT and it's a ton better, imho, than using something less flexible as far as patching and routing...

As far as repair parts go... there is still a pretty good source for Amek and Tac at:

http://audiomaintenance.com/home.htm

Lee's mostly right, of course. But, if you find a nice board at a good price and have an arrangement with your local fire department, as I do 'vis a vis' soldering before calling them... it'll look MUCH better in industry photos of your studio than say someone with some tiny little Macki monitor deal. (Well, not to Lee...)

Go for it!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 AM

yeah but does it sound good? cant be any more of a pain in the ass than the kernal panics you guys get with OSX.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:56 AM

I used a Tac Scorpion with my Studer and it was noisy, the eq "Q" is very wide on that desk, all I can remeber from 1992 is that i would never buy and Amek desk. Lots of noise too!
Try it for yourself and see- your opinion may be different
YMMV
Old 05-04-2005, 06:40 PM

Thanks Guys for your feedback. I have used the Amek Angela alot , and love it......of course this is a class A console. The Tac scorpion isnt. Any hoo, I think I will hold off for now, and wait for something I will really like.

P.S. Seekee, I get the feeling you realy dont like OSX, ...........by the way, whay happened to the "I want an OS9 forum post...................?