Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Also thinking of Flipping to Mac

Hey folks. I, as well, am thinking of flipping to Mac from PC. I've recently had serious windows XP issues with Pro-Tools. Given that, and the years of fighting with Microsoft... I'm ready to throw my computer out the window (but it's a Core 2 Duo... so I'll find a use for it somewhere else... stopping doors or weighing down paper. )

Anyways, my question is this:

I'm currently looking at the new 24" iMac (2.4 GHz). Good machine, and a good price. I want to upgrade the Ram to 2 or 4 Gigs, and add an external (FW800) hard drive for my audio sessions.

A) Is this a good configuration? (i.e. Is a FW800 drive fast enough to handle the data stream, or is it better to work off a partition of the system drive?) I would never do this on a PC.

B) I'm extremely worried about the compatibility issues with OSX 10.4.10 (pro-tools downtime = lost wages), but want to buy as current a machine as possible for the sake of maximizing it's useable life.
(Now I come to find out from my Mac dealer that OSX 10.4.10 quantities are limited, and Mac is rolling out OSX 10.5 at the end of the month, discontinuing everything previous)

Your advice in this matter would be extremely helpful.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Also thinking of Flipping to Mac

HI,

nice Mac Choice!

a) Itīs not the FW800 bus that bogs performance, itīs the availability of faster HD on the the market.
yes FW800 will be fine. And avoid working with the System HD. It will do in emergency cases
but is nor recommended for everyday use.

b)Wait till 10.5 is out. Itīs a major evolution step and future version of PT WILL require 10.5. at some point, since you are concerned about the lasting of your machine. 10.4 is already "old meat"

As far as early reports go PT7.3 is running on 10.5*. And Pt7.4 is also due soon.

either way, wait a litte longer until both work together.

regs

*but I donīt know how reliable these sources are.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 AM

Well, if the imac is anything like the macbook pros, then the only real hitch I see in your plan is if you use a firewire interface. There is only 1 fw400 and 1 fw800 port and I believe that they run on the same bus. I have read about quite a few people on this forum that are having trouble having a fw interface connected to the fw400 port at the same time as an 800HD. Something to look into before pulling the trigger. On my macbook pro, I have to chain my ext HD through my firewire interface (M-Audio firewire 410).

J
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Hmm... that's a good point. I didn't consider a firewire conflict issue.

My audio interface is an FireWire M-Audio 1814.

Is a USB 2.0 Hard Drive for session files an option?

Anyways, I think I'll wait for the 10.5.

My mac dealer called this a 'perfect storm' in the mac world. With the old going out, and OSX 10.5 rolling out on the 26th, I'll probably wait. I don't imagine it should take TOO long for Digidesign to qualify ProTools for OSX 10.5 (couple months maybe?)

Anyways, thanks for your advice!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 AM

HI,

Quote:
NO WAY!

either stick to FW Oxford chipset or be in trouble.
(There are other FW chipset that are reported to work but itīs very tedious to find out which.)

But daisychaining FW devices is not the problem. just make sure your Audio Interface
is connected first to the computer, then the HD to the interface.

that should do it.

regs
Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Hmm... that's a good point. I didn't consider a firewire conflict issue.

My audio interface is an FireWire M-Audio 1814.

Anyways, I think I'll wait for the 10.5.

My mac dealer called this a 'perfect storm' in the mac world. With the old going out, and OSX 10.5 rolling out on the 26th, I'll probably wait. I don't imagine it should take TOO long for Digidesign to qualify ProTools for OSX 10.5 (couple months maybe?)

Anyways, thanks for your advice!
USB is not officially supported, but that doesn't mean that it won't work. I would say that if you have one laying around, try it. If you are doing large sessions with lots of simultaneous playback and record, you may have issues. Firewire with oxford chipset is the safe bet. I went with the WD MyBook Premium that has USB and FW400 and I haven't had any problems.

J